Quote Originally Posted by Armando View Post
It's certainly true that many bars will not permit foreigners. I believe that's for 2 reasons. 1) most bars are tiny accommodating little more than 12- 15 and most of them will be regular customers. I was also told the no foreigners rule is because the regulars may speak little or no English or other foreign language. The mamasans want to maintain harmony within the regular group. It seems few Japanese like to go bar hopping as we would in Thailand. They have one bar and stick mostly to it. 2) In many Japanese bars in addition to your requested drink you get a small snack. At first this seems very kind, until you get the bill and find you have to pay for it! Never heard of or come across restaurants being Japanese only.

On the other hand in Shinjuku ni-chome there are bars which happily welcome foreigners and larger bars open to the little streets (where snacks are not served).One of the longest established and friendliest for foreigners and Japanese who like to be with foreigners is the basement bar GB in the ni-chome gay bar district. Another is the oddly named Arty-Farty. Streetside there are several including Airro the cafe/bar. The vdo below has a Japanese and a western guy introducing various bars and other places in ni-chome, including one which now has go-go boys at the week-ends.
Thank You, i actually already follow them on Youtube, even passed them on my 1st trip to Tokyo...but was to shocked to actually say hello .
Well i only heard about "Japanese Only" on occasion. I avoid restaurants in Tokyo because i dont like Tokyo's favorite sport : Standing in line to get inside any building. I preferred Fastfood or a snack from the shops. I do remember them saying some Gay Danceclubs also dont allow Tourists or people of certain looks (Plus-Size or certain Age Groups) and nothing you can do about it, just accept it. I still like Tokyo but i look forward going to Pattaya soon.