Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Happenings in Chiang Mai

Liked

Re: Happenings in Chiang Mai

Quote Originally Posted by Armando View Post
    We actually liked the fact that there were plenty of gay bars and massage spas dotted around rather than in just one place.
    That leads to my pet peeve with Chiang Mai: getting around.

Getting around on foot is awful. I have done it the first trips to Chiang Mai and vividly remember having to wait 5-10 minutes to cross the road around the moat. Traffic as bad as in Bangkok, but no pedestrian overpasses.

Next trips with a friend's car the problem of finding somewhere to park.

Public transport is the most expensive and the worst organized of all Thailand. Elsewhere you can hop an a bus or songtheo and get to your destination along the route for 10 Baht, here it is 30 and you have to ask where they are going.

I didn't even try to get a taxi on previous trips (hailing one on the road). But on a recent trip I used grab or bolt, and can get taxi for prices like in Bangkok!

2. 5 Users gave Like to post:

billyhouston (September 12th, 2023), francois (September 11th, 2023), goji (September 12th, 2023), mr giggles (September 12th, 2023), Oliver2 (September 12th, 2023)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post
    That leads to my pet peeve with Chiang Mai: getting around.

Getting around on foot is awful. I have done it the first trips to Chiang Mai and vividly remember having to wait 5-10 minutes to cross the road around the moat. Traffic as bad as in Bangkok, but no pedestrian overpasses.

Next trips with a friend's car the problem of finding somewhere to park.

Public transport is the most expensive and the worst organized of all Thailand. Elsewhere you can hop an a bus or songtheo and get to your destination along the route for 10 Baht, here it is 30 and you have to ask where they are going.
    Can you rent scooters like Pattaya for transportation..?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

It's not just taxis that cause me grief in CM. In the days when I rented a car, I found the moat road almost impossible to navigate back to my hotel. Each exit looked the same, particularly at night. On one occasion I gave -up, hailed a tuk tuk and paid the driver to lead me back just in time Adam's Apple to open.

5. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (September 14th, 2023)

Liked

===on a recent trip I used grab or bolt, and can get taxi for prices like in Bangkok!===

apps are working well in CM, used both during my past 2 visits and everything went smooth, prices were slightly lower than in Bangkok, but prices are very dependable on weather, time and day of the week, so maybe I was just lucky...

as example prices to/from airport from Iron Bridge area were about 200-250 Bahts
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

7. User who gave Like to post:

maump (September 16th, 2023)

Liked

Slight side issue, but: what's it like in Chiang Mai.

I know the girls there have a reputation for being a bit expensive, as well as a bit conservative in bed. What are the boys like?

Liked

I haven't offed one from a bar for over 10 years. The one I got online in May accepted my offer of 1000. I think this was the only I got online in Chiang Mai. The off from bar was the only as well. But then, I don't go to Chiang Mai that often, mostly because of the awful travel situation in Chiang Mai, see my previous post.

10. User who gave Like to post:

maump (September 16th, 2023)

Liked

I haven't been to CM since lockdowns.
    As I've said elsewhere, there used to be 'sleaze alley' opposite the rear of the Night Bazaar. It used, before that, to be in the basement of the Night Bazaar.
    Other bars are far apart requiring tuk tuks or taxis.

I know many here hate bars with LB shows but I urge you to look in at RAM Bar. It is not specifically gay but the EXCELLENT professional show (LB and attractive boy dancers) attracts a lot of gays in who are not desperate for a pick-up
    RAM BAR is in the soi opposite the front of the Night Bazaar. Best to be there by about 21:30 as it can get very busy..
    My last trip, we went every night because the show changes every night. Best shows I've seen in Thailand in twenty or more years.
    After Ram, there are small gay host beer bars in the sois around there.

12. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Moses (October 23rd, 2023), Oliver2 (October 23rd, 2023)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

We were there nine months ago and we're returning in just over two weeks....can't wait. Of course, the gay scene is irrelevant to us now but one thing that was very obvious was the effect that the lack of Chinese tour-groups was having on the city's economy. We stay at the Amora and in the past the hotel has been full and overwhelmingly with Chinese guests. Last time, the occupancy was nearer 50%. The Asians there seemed to be Korean.

Our two favourite restaurants- one of them the famous Whole Earth- were closed; and sadly still are. Nevertheless, I still get a thrill on arrival by our taxi ride along the moats while a smile appears on P's face as the stupas of his favourite temples (or some of them) become visible.

14. User who gave Like to post:

Khor tose (October 29th, 2023)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post
    I haven't offed one from a bar for over 10 years. The one I got online in May accepted my offer of 1000. I think this was the only I got online in Chiang Mai. The off from bar was the only as well. But then, I don't go to Chiang Mai that often, mostly because of the awful travel situation in Chiang Mai, see my previous post.
    I haven't been since covid. Before many of the gay venues started closing (considerably before covid) I used to love my visits, as much for the sights as the boys. And most of the boys were great. But I much preferred those in the massage joints rather than the bars.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by extronaut View Post
    Slight side issue, but: what's it like in Chiang Mai.

I know the girls there have a reputation for being a bit expensive, as well as a bit conservative in bed. What are the boys like?
    @Female:Just use Thai beliefs: applies to about any (real) girl from the North and Thai (not BUrmese or whatever minority-plenty over there): think Thai: SKIN-white! Or least dark one can find in TH. Opposite: hence Isan girls should be cheaper. And all those farang that so much like them keep on being baffled for this by Thai. But thats from pre 2000-I assume habits also change with the yrs and ever diminishing supply of those people.
    Re guys from the north: cannot really say they were more modest or conservative as others, say from Isan. But have to admit thats now also a bit getting aged: many years ago since I´ve been there, though there also used to be plenty here in BKK. But about anyone working guy from the north nowadays is from one of those tribes or cheating a bit as he is in actual fact Burmese.
    Ch Mai used to have a 3 lines citybus system-also pre 2000 (not reaching airport, mostly aimed at UNI). This disappeared and I remember once that the city itself had set up an also new system with midibuses and running along the major roads-but I guess that has also again disappeared, as otherwise Chris would have used and known about it.
    Oh-and long, long ago sitting in the eves along canal near moat would also lead to meets with prospective guys looking for fun with guys-and for some also as a small extra income. I often stayed in a budget HTL just across. (somehow I remember at that time it was 150 bt/N- no AC though).