Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: No End In Sight!

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

No End In Sight!

As the virus continues to ping pong around the globe it is becoming obvious that without an effective vaccine available to everyone nothing will change the status quo here in Thailand and elsewhere.

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: No End In Sight!

Actually a lot may change.

If tourists are not allowed back this season Pattaya will lose out on nearly 10 million visitors. (Last year there were 9.4 million foreign tourists in Pattaya).

As an expat you need to be really worried about that manforallseasons. You could end up living in a dark deserted city devoid of any entertainment, restaurants or bars.

Whilst I get the impression some expats are happy to see the back end of Chinese and Russian tourists they should be careful what they wish for.

If we tourists do not return soon Pattaya could be permanently dark and deserted as we have seen in YouTube videos over the past few months.

3. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (July 29th, 2020), GerBear1958 (July 29th, 2020)

Liked

1 At present, governments have to try and balance economic v Covid risks. So far, the Thai government has very much prioritised reducing the Covid risk, at the expense of a large percentage of the economy. This has already resulted in protests in many cities in Thailand, which is no surprise at all, considering the impact on people in the tourism sector. This may result in changes, with or without a vaccine, particularly if the government recognises that repression of the population will become increasingly difficult.

2 With all the vaccines under development, it seems increasingly likely that at least one will be widely available in 6~12 months. There are also treatments that improve the death rates.

An end is very much in sight.

5. 3 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (July 29th, 2020), christianpfc (July 29th, 2020), GerBear1958 (July 29th, 2020)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I doubt that this government is interested in the welfare of those who work in relatively low-paid jobs in Pattaya, nor for the people of Isaan et al, who depend on them to feed families "back home". However, the managements of big companies such as the already- struggling Thai Air are a different matter.
    I suspect that their views are being aired- and listened to-at this very moment.
    Unless there is an increase in the number of internal cases, I can see at least a partial opening-up in High Season.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2 View Post
    I doubt that this government is interested in the welfare of those who work in relatively low-paid jobs in Pattaya, nor for the people of Isaan et al, who depend on them to feed families "back home". However, the managements of big companies such as the already- struggling Thai Air are a different matter.
    I suspect that their views are being aired- and listened to-at this very moment.
    Unless there is an increase in the number of internal cases, I can see at least a partial opening-up in High Season.
    The “internal cases” remain low because the Thais are taking it very seriously masks, social distancing, hand sanitizing etc. so the only thing that might cause the “internal cases” to rise would be allowing tourists to return.

8. User who gave Like to post:

BenCH (July 29th, 2020)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2 View Post
    I suspect you are right on these points. However, in view of the protests, the government might be forced to take more interest in the people who have moved from low paid jobs to no jobs.

Besides, if we look back to February and March, Thai infection rates were hardly disastrous when they had tourists coming in from countries with higher infection rates than currently. Also, know how for treating covid is increasing.

Liked

Yes the economy is suffering and will continue to do so however, the overwhelming majority of Thais favor keeping foreigners out. https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...ovid-wave-poll

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    Yes the economy is suffering and will continue to do so however, the overwhelming majority of Thais favor keeping foreigners out. https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...ovid-wave-poll
    That’s a poll of a mere 1400 odd people out of 60 million, a tiny, tiny proportion. It also quite clearly states in the link ..

“1,459 people throughout the country to gauge their reactions to the cases of an Egyptian soldier”

So,it was undertaken following the hysterical reaction in Rayong when a soldier was found to have Covid on RETURN to Egypt. Of the thousands tested NONE were found positive. In fact nobody has been found positive in Thailand for months.

So it’s hardly more than media hype.

Furthermore if 95% are against tourists returning, then obviously 5 % are for it.

But stats show 21% of GDP comes from tourism. Presumably therefore 20 odd % also work in tourism.

So it doesn’t add up at all does it?

12. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (July 29th, 2020)

Liked

I understand many would like to return to Thailand but before that can happen they first must clear some hurdles such as will their home country allow them to travel wherever they wish and once they do so will they be allowed to re-enter and if so will they need to quarantine? The government here in Thailand has done a really excellent job keeping those here safe and have chosen public safety over economic concerns and frankly shall continue to do so, if there is a real public uproar it will be over the spread of the virus as a result of opening up too soon to foreigners and as someone living here I am happy for their stance.

14. 2 Users gave Like to post:

BenCH (July 29th, 2020), Dodger (July 29th, 2020)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    I understand many would like to return to Thailand but before that can happen they first must clear some hurdles such as will their home country allow them to travel wherever they wish and once they do so will they be allowed to re-enter and if so will they need to quarantine?
    1 Most of our countries PERMIT us to travel wherever we like, but in some cases they "advise against all non-essential travel to country ********". Which means a standard travel insurance policy becomes invalidated. If that were the only barrier, I would investigate a more specialized insurance policy.

2 I cannot enter Thailand on reasonable terms at present. This may change once pressure on the Thai economy and government increases & of course, depending on the covid infection rates in our own countries.

3 As a result of #2, there are no flights. As soon as #2 is fixed, airlines will arrange some flights.

4 Under current rules, if I return from Thailand, I need 14 days in quarantine at my home. Assuming Thai covid infection rates are reliable, this rule makes no sense at all.
    However, it's also no barrier to me travelling. If I can book a long holiday in Thailand, 2 weeks at home at the end of it is no problem at all. I can just get groceries etc delivered to home.

For anyone retired, financially independent or with the ability to work from home, it should be no issue at all.
    Judging by the near empty car parks and near empty trains, I would imagine well over 80% of professionals are currently working from home here anyway.

I guess retired, financially independent or able to work from home covers a good proportion of board contributors. People in this category are a different market to the families who have gone to Spain on holiday and suddenly been inconvenienced by the re-introduction of quarantine. If we go to Thailand for 1~3 months, 2 weeks quarantine at home at the end of it is no issue.

We just need point #2 fixed -ie Thai government policy.