Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Retirement Visa

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Liked

Re: Retirement Visa

Based on reports I have rec'd, Jomtien Immigration is being fairly consistent for those using 800,000 baht in a Thai bank.

GB:
    Pattaya immigration has been requiring those who used the 800,000 baht method to return 3 months later with their updated bank passbook to prove you never let the account drop below 400,000 baht. As far as I know, Pattaya immigration is the only immigration office in Thailand doing that

To clarify, GB's comments, I think he meant to say Jomtien Immigration requires you to return after 3 months to show you have not let the account balance drop below 800,000 (instead of 400,000), which is the new requirement as of March 1, 2019 rule change. Although the new rules say the 800,000 needs to be on deposit for 2 months before you make application (previously it was 2 months for new applicants and 3 months for renewals), GB is correct that there have been reports about some Immigration offices still saying it must be 3 months - however, I don't believe Jomtien Immigration is one of them as the document they have you sign to acknowledge the date you need to return (3 months after) shows the applicable rule in English, which clearly shows only the 2 month requirement. At all other times, you must maintain at least 400,000 baht in the account if you want to be able to renew using money in the bank method the following year.

Also, at Jomtien, they are apparently now requiring, when using the 800,000 in the bank, that the bank letter be dated on the date of application and also show a transaction in the account. At last Sunday's Pattaya City Expat Club meeting, a friend of mine said they renewed their extension the previous week. No problems encountered except they had to go out, do a transaction, and update their passbook to show it was made.

As to the 65,000 baht monthly income. If your Embassy still provides a letter saying the income was verified (whether it was or not, so long as the Embassy says it was), then that is all that is needed. I did see a report a month or so ago (Thaivisa as I recall) where a person whose Embassy still issues the certification letter, tried to renew (I don't believe it was at Jomtien) by showing bank records/letters and was told not acceptable, go get your Embassy letter.

As to what Jomtien requires, I had only one or two reports. One which was sent to me by email last week, the person also had just renewed that week. He said in addition to evidence of the source of his income (pension statement in his case) and Thai bank passbook, and his Thai bank statements verified by the two banks he used, they also wanted a letter from his Thai bank verifying the account name and balance -- same letter as used by those using 800,000. He mentioned that he used transferwise to his SCB bank but switched to Bangkok Bank early this year so the deposits would show as foreign transactions. He said that although his SCB statements did not indicate they were from a foreign source and had copies of his transferwise transactions and bank statement for his home bank where his pension was received in case needed, the SCB deposits were not challenged and he was not asked for any additional documentation.

Also, I have heard that Jomtien Immigration has a "sample bank letter" regarding the deposits to your account that you can provide to your bank to show what they want to see. However, I have not seen a copy of the example -- if anyone should happen to be at Immigration and obtain one, I think most of us will be most appreciative if they post a copy here and/or if they send a copy with an email to info@pcec.club, the PCEC will publish a copy.

I will be doing my renewal in June (one month before my renewal date) using the 65,000 baht monthly income method - being from USA, I will need to have all the relevant bank documents/pension statement. I do use Bangkok Bank and prior to March 2019 used ACH transfers through their NY branch in excess of the 65,000 baht monthly minimum. Since March, I have been using Transferwise. So, all of my transfers will show as foreign transfers (FTT code). Once I go through the process, I will post my experience.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by 2lz2p View Post
    I will be doing my renewal in June (one month before my renewal date) using the 65,000 baht monthly income method - being from USA, I will need to have all the relevant bank documents/pension statement. I do use Bangkok Bank and prior to March 2019 used ACH transfers through their NY branch in excess of the 65,000 baht monthly minimum. Since March, I have been using Transferwise. So, all of my transfers will show as foreign transfers (FTT code). Once I go through the process, I will post my experience.
    So if someone just transfers 65,000 baht every month via Transferwise and it shows up as FTT, this should satisfy the income requirement ?

Strictly speaking, I don't have a regular income, it's just an investment pot which pays dividends & might go up or down in any year. However, if I transfer 65,000 baht of that to Thailand each month, it counts as income ?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    So if someone just transfers 65,000 baht every month via Transferwise and it shows up as FTT, this should satisfy the income requirement ?

Strictly speaking, I don't have a regular income, it's just an investment pot which pays dividends & might go up or down in any year. However, if I transfer 65,000 baht of that to Thailand each month, it counts as income ?
    goji, bank interest, building society interest, royalties, bonuses and dividends are all sources of income, not just income from directors’ remuneration, an employment (regular or not), pension or drawings in respect of self-employment.

I doubt very much that the Thai Immigration department is concerned with the source of your income; my belief is that they are only interested in the monthly amount of your income and that it can be shown to originate from a foreign source. Therefore, as long as your dividend and any other income amounts to at least 65,000 Baht per month, that’s all that will concern them.

Before the rule change, in the most recent years, all I did was take or post my Certificate of Income and details of tax paid (form P60) to the British Embassy in Bangkok and they would provide me with a letter confirming that I had X amount of GBP as annual and monthly income. The Thai immigration officer, when renewing my ‘retirement visa’, would simply calculate if the stated income was the equivalent of 65,000 Baht per month. The immigration officer was not concerned about the source of that income and no questions were ever asked about the source, although the Embassy letter did mention the source.

But as we have read over the last few months on this forum, the embassy route is, in the case of the United States, British and some other embassies, now closed because they say they are not able to verify the income. Well, that’s my understanding.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    I doubt very much that the Thai Immigration department is concerned with the source of your income; my belief is that they are only interested in the monthly amount of your income and that it can be shown to originate from a foreign source. Therefore, as long as your dividend and any other income amounts to at least 65,000 Baht per month, that’s all that will concern them.
    Absolutely correct Mr Jellybaby - in fact no-one (except the sender) can say what the source of the funds are that are transferred to a Thai bank - it could be savings, it could be pension, it could be dividends, it could be sale of drugs, it could be gambling winnings. There is no source reported to the receiving bank whatsoever

Mind you, I only know that by hearsay, living here in Houston and never having visited Thailand or Pattaya doncha know