Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: That's enough for now.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

That's enough for now.

On reflection, this place isn’t fun anymore. I’ve been posting on the Gay Thailand message boards since they started, is that more than 30 years? I’ve been offended by a few people and I expect that I’ve offended a few too in that time. I’ve called it as I’ve seen it, and undoubtedly I’ve sometimes been wrong, sometimes gone over the top, apologies to the recipients. But by and large it’s been amusing, entertaining and often informative.

As someone who has visited and worked in Thailand for over forty years, I took pleasure in advising new members and reading about their experiences.

However visiting and writing on this forum is no longer fun. Currently it seems like there is a barrack room lawyer waiting round every corner with a subpoena to demand that posters explain why an opinion once expressed in a post years ago has been contradicted in a recent post. Or think that they are being clever to expose some minor factual inaccuracy in somebody’s story telling.

Posters are required to validate themselves on some altar of credibilty as if they were appearing in court instead of writing anonymous posts in an internet forum, while trying to make the posts entertaining for the benefit of others.

Individuals fashion themselves as latter day witchfinder generals in search of trolls, without caring how many innocents are burned or discouraged in the process. This seems to give them validation, but there have been, and always will be, composite and fictitious character constructions in the forums, some more credible than others.

From Rick with his flashlight to Hedda with the canary they have formed part of the tapestry of the forums and have often been informative and entertaining posters. When the time comes that the forums are more about interrogating these people, and creating an environment that discourages new posters from contributing and sharing their experiences, then it’s time to stop visiting.

I’m not moving somewhere else, I’ve been loyal to this forum, and it’s predecessor, liked their free wheeling style, and always shared what information and opinions I had here.

Time to take a break from people who are taking too seriously what should be entertainment, with a bit of information thrown in.

2. 12 Users gave Like to post:

Doug (May 21st, 2017), francois (May 21st, 2017), GWMinUS (May 21st, 2017), Manforallseasons (May 21st, 2017), Maxxy (May 23rd, 2017), paperboy (May 21st, 2017), Sen Yai (May 21st, 2017), sglad (May 22nd, 2017), Smiles (May 21st, 2017), Surfcrest (May 21st, 2017), TaoR (May 21st, 2017), Tintin (May 22nd, 2017)

Liked

Re: That's enough for now.

100%

4. 2 Users gave Like to post:

sglad (May 22nd, 2017), TaoR (May 21st, 2017)

Liked

The recent trend here does seem to be quite a few members leaving. However, the one thing they all have in common (Fountainhall, Bobsaigon , a447...sort of, and now you) is that the reason they are leaving is because the board owner won't ban the member (s) they want banned. But almost every member has someone or several who want him banned. If Surfcrest listened to the mob then there would literally be no one left.

Except me. Because I'm lovely. Everyone says so. Mmm.

6. User who gave Like to post:

sglad (May 22nd, 2017)

Liked

I think it is a problem of Surfcrest to police the Forum.
    It is too bad individuals do not police themselves...
    But as Brad says, that is how these posters get their Jollies.
    Take care!!

8. User who gave Like to post:

sglad (May 22nd, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    The recent trend here does seem to be quite a few members leaving. However, the one thing they all have in common (Fountainhall, Bobsaigon , a447...sort of, and now you) is that the reason they are leaving is because the board owner won't ban the member (s) they want banned
    That's a neat little packaged argument - problem is (and I suspect this is also true of Bobsaigon) it is untrue! Oh sure, there are posters here for whom I have made no bones about my dislike of their posts and their posting styles. It is more the descent of this Board over the last couple of years into what is to all intents and purposes a bitchfight between the same handful of members with their same old personal agendas. Maybe it has been like this in much of its incarnation but it was far less so over the last couple of years. I'd venture to suggest it was even becoming civilized!

Not surprisingly, I don't agree with much of Brad's OP - and he probably feels the same of my more recent posts when I decided I'd hit back at those who hit out at me. But I do agree that the way this Board is going, given all the increasingly intense personal in-fighting between just a handful or so of members, the chances of its finding new members must be as near zero as can be.

And in response, don't come out with the old argument about my being some sort of appointed troll detector. The only one I tried to 'out' was the obvious sglad (who, let me remind you, others openly 'suspected' long before I did). Within a few posts it was perfectly clear he was no mid-20s student, certainly no Singaporean and certainly no Chinese! But I'd have let him post away with his fictions had he not attacked me in no uncertain terms. Then he revealed himself as a hydra and it was his own stupid fault he got himself banned. Most posters on all boards are pretty anonymous. He chose to flesh out his persona with a stupid, implausible and easily seen through disguise - very Beachlover-like, in fact!. Now he's back on the gaythailand board but there his barbs and insults have to be tempered due to moderation. LOL

Liked

Brad, you are confusing two separate issues - lying for entertainment and lying which has the potential to be harmful.

I also have been a board member for a long time, although certainly not for thirty years. I started on this board 11 years ago and continued to post regularly over that time - apart from a hiatus towards the end of Neals' era.

It was fun and very informative, especially for a newbie knowing little about Thailand at the time.

Armed with information mainly from posters here I began my regular visits to LOS and started posting my own information. Then I began posting trip reports.

For most of this time there was only one poster - latintopxxx - who consistently lied about his exploits and I enjoyed calling him out. I was far from the only one who questioned him, btw. There have been many. But I was the only one who posted evidence of his lies in the form of links to the relevant posts and / direct quotes. Accusations need evidence, otherwise they are nothing but empty words. Quoting someone 's words back to them is the most effective way. (You should try it).

But there was a serious side to his lies. I expressed my concerns numerous times. What if someone actually believed him, came to Thailand and attempted to emulate his alleged behaviour? What if a newbie took his "advice" and dragged a boy in Eros down from the dias and slapped him? What if he visited a massage place, had fun with the masseur and then thought it was ok to give him a miserly tip - by throwing it on the floor? What if he approached a group of construction workers and tried to persuade one to go with him for sex?

So I make no apology for calling him out. But rather than criticise those who expose his lies, it is he who should be taken to task, rather than shooting the messenger.

There are nasty people on the board and although I don't like them, I accept that they are a part of the board experience. If they go on the attack, then I will give as good as I get. No harm done. The problem is, some are good at dishing it out but can not take it.

Brad, you are a good example. You suddenly appeared out of the blue, along with Surfcrest, and made a series of accusations against me. When I asked you to back up the first one by pointing to the relevant post, you didn't. Instead, you just made more accusations which you were also unable to substantiate. That is why we had that back and forth in those two threads. Did you really think I was going to let those false accusations just remain unchallenged?

Why didn't you substantiate them? I asked you to do so over and over again, but you refused.

"Individuals fashion themselves as latter day witchfinder generals in search of trolls"

I hope you are not referring to me. If you are, please tell me who I have labelled a 'troll."

"Posters are required to validate themselves on some altar of credibilty as if they were appearing in court instead of writing anonymous posts in an internet forum, while trying to make the posts entertaining for the benefit of others."

No. They are only required to follow the posting rules.

If writing fantasy posts and telling blatant lies is their way of making their posts "entertaining" then so be it. If someone is able to have fun, then we are all entitled to join in. And we have.

Cndmatt is a perfect example. I don't recall anyone ever calling for him to be banned. On the contrary, he is very entertaining, even though that is probably not the intent behind his posts. But there are no rules of which I am aware that prevents members from calling such posters out. If I am in breach of such a rule (please point it out to me), then so are a dozen or so other members. But you haven't mentioned them. Why?

Where have you been all these years when Latin was being exposed? Member after member has joined in (including yourself, perchance?) Not a word of criticism from you. I've been quoting Latin back to himself since 2006! Again, not a word from you.

Until now.

Now you find yourself in the receiving end and you don't like it. You conveniently refer to being asked to explain your comments as being "interrogated". All of a sudden the board is no longer a happy place for you. You enjoy its "free-wheeling style" as long as you are exempt.

Well, you're not.

Stop playing the victim and stop making accusations you can not substantiate.

Only then will the board become a happy place for you again.

11. 2 Users gave Like to post:

lego (May 22nd, 2017), scottish-guy (May 21st, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I agree with Arsenal that I left SGT because the owner would not ban those who were consistently, habitually posting entries that were aimed at denigrating other members or simply attempting to create discord. But, more to the point, I left because those few had created an environment which did not motivate me to continue active participation. We’re talking about the two or three individuals who were/are probably on everyone’s list of those who should be banned.

The current nature of the Forum is what prompted me to depart, rather than solely a dislike of a few board members. The decision not to ban anyone has turned the tone and focus of SGT over to two or three persons who operate as they see fit, having been assured of no interference from the owner.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

There is no doubt that this board in on its last breath aided by the pursuit of trolls most recently spearheaded by the desexed old tosser fountainhall of which this has been his only avenue of self gratification. When a topic becomes a constant battle between Latin...fequent.....arsenal...with the occastional quip from scottish who really cares? NOT me and I suspect not many of the few remaining members! cdnmatt is by far the most pathetic creature, firstly if he is a liar secondly if he is for real!
    Last edited by Manforallseasons; May 21st, 2017 at 13:42.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

14. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (May 21st, 2017), sglad (May 22nd, 2017)

Liked

Welcome back Bob and Founty. I see no answer to this. This place is now the gayboardland equivalent of the middle East. I see no truces any time soon. The enmity between certain members (including myself) is too deep. And MFAS, you can drop the innocent act. You ain't foolin no one. You've had your share.

16. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (May 21st, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    There is no doubt that this board in on its last breath aided by the pursuit of trolls most recently spearheaded by the desexed old tosser fountainhall of which this has been his only avenue of self gratification
    Tra-la-la!

And what other response would anyone have expected from a poster who uses this Board for every possible negative comment he's unable to post over on gaybutton's site? He didn't even read my earlier post and yet maintains the fiction - started by Arsenal and which I shot down some months ago - that I am a mix of Conan Doyle and John Le Carre on the hunt for trolls. I have posted far more positive, upbeat posts and interesting trip reports here than MFAS ever did. But then he's stuck most of the time in Pattaya, rarely travels outside its environs, and is merely interested in one thing - negativity.

When a Board continuously boasts this sort of negativity from posters like MFAS, of course it is on its last legs. If only his posts were interesting or fun or even anywhere close to the truth, they might just hold a modicum of interest. They don't. He's is just a Board bore.
    Last edited by fountainhall; May 21st, 2017 at 14:11.