Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: just anothwr nail in the coffin

Liked

just anothwr nail in the coffin

http://bk.asia-city.com/city-living/...g-after-apr-17

I just keep reading NEGATIVE things about bkk and thailand
    have the GOVT got a sucide role, or is there something iam missing.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: just anothwr nail in the coffin

A nail in the coffin? A bit over the top, don't you think? Very few tourists venture out as far as Thonglor and Ekkamai, and that area is much more up-market than it was, say, 15 years ago. Street stalls are certainly one of Bangkok's attractions - I remember The New York Times once ran a double-page spread on the best Bangkok stalls to visit. But removing them from areas like Thonglor - suicide???

Liked

True, however as someone who has stayed on Pridi for five years and near Thonglor BTS for about 7 years, it certainly is a nail in my coffin, and I am sure many people living in that area agree with me..

I think the BMA will not pull it off and to be honest, the complaints about impassable walkways is a lie, at no point in time are any of those streets inpassable and that includes beneath BTS Thonglor. They have gone crazy. Where the hell am I supposed to get my Tam Lao now, don't mess with people's food...

As to being 'upmarket' you might want to apply that to the Sukhumvit end of Thonglor, but calling Ekkamai and Pridi upmarket ? Ever actually been there ? This is working class Thai that live on those streets, Bma indeed seems set on suicide..

Forum's veteran
    Liked

FYI: dear FH, since several yrs-since in fact Swampy had a direct bus to Onnut, just before BTS was extended-and as you likely know thats even further out as goldenWheel (thonglor), it is most defintely a touristy area-more aiming at lower budget and repeat visitors.
    Its utter nonsense to say the area with BTS-stops before are wokring Thai-as anyone knows, all of BKK is a complete mix of hi-so to downtrodden streetpeople. TLor certainly is a much more hi-so snobbish dinky etc. area, perhaps even the most of all khet. Probably that explains why the street-food-vendors were more pretty and more epxensive as anywhere else.
    Yes-the BMA is certainly busy clearing many main streets from vendors, pesky others etc. maybe even that 7 that puts all its giant pallets full of not yet sold water outside may have to find some storage. That it destroys the city is also utter nonsense-with all those empty buildings etc BKK can certainly accomodate them there-as always in LOS it boils down to that old: Money-money-money. Oh-and its som tam, made the Lao (isany) way. which is still about available at any streetcorner and in between-also from walkig vendors. Like @ Onnut-choice of onthestreet or in AC comfort @Tesco/BigC(former Carrefour). There also used to be a big open air evening foodmarket-OFFstreet-a little further on-also closed, new condo to be built.
    BMA simply seizes its chances now that the reds are firmly ousted.

5. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (March 25th, 2017)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by pong View Post
    FYI: dear FH, since several yrs-since in fact Swampy had a direct bus to Onnut, just before BTS was extended-and as you likely know thats even further out as goldenWheel (thonglor), it is most defintely a touristy area-more aiming at lower budget and repeat visitors.
    Its utter nonsense to say the area with BTS-stops before are wokring Thai-as anyone knows, all of BKK is a complete mix of hi-so to downtrodden streetpeople. TLor certainly is a much more hi-so snobbish dinky etc. area, perhaps even the most of all khet. Probably that explains why the street-food-vendors were more pretty and more epxensive as anywhere else.
    Yes-the BMA is certainly busy clearing many main streets from vendors, pesky others etc. maybe even that 7 that puts all its giant pallets full of not yet sold water outside may have to find some storage. That it destroys the city is also utter nonsense-with all those empty buildings etc BKK can certainly accomodate them there-as always in LOS it boils down to that old: Money-money-money. Oh-and its som tam, made the Lao (isany) way. which is still about available at any streetcorner and in between-also from walkig vendors. Like @ Onnut-choice of onthestreet or in AC comfort @Tesco/BigC(former Carrefour). There also used to be a big open air evening foodmarket-OFFstreet-a little further on-also closed, new condo to be built.
    BMA simply seizes its chances now that the reds are firmly ousted.
    Thonglor is NOT a tourist area, precious little tourists venture out that way. Maybe you missed the part where I said I have been living there ? Pridi most certainly is an area where working class Thai live and work, so is Ekkamai. One only needs to go to Ekkamai 30 to see what I mean. Oh and no need to lecture me on Som Tam, Tam Lao is Som Tam Lao, ie the proper version, Tam Thai is the sweet version, precious few ' reds' would eat that.

And yes, what the BMA is doing is destroying the city. Pray tell where I am going to get my Tam Lao now ?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I visit Thonglor regularly as I have friends living in that area. To say it is touristy is just not the case!

Liked

You must be blind then, there are plenty of tourists in and around Thonglor.

9. User who gave Like to post:

Manforallseasons (March 29th, 2017)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by lego View Post
    You must be blind then, there are plenty of tourists in and around Thonglor.
    Yes there are a few tourists around Thongkor plenty, nope it doesn't even come close to being a tourism center. Most foreigners that you see in Thonglor aren't tourists, those are mainly expats.

11. User who gave Like to post:

fountainhall (March 29th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by lego View Post
    there are plenty of tourists in and around Thonglor.
    Not true. There are a few genuine tourists occasionally around there - especially in the evenings when there are some popular restaurants and nightclubs. In the daytime? The odd handful!