List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thailand's blind children's orchestra - from BBC news website today for anyone interested.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Thailand's blind children's orchestra - from BBC news website today for anyone interested.

A short piece on the "Thailand's blind children's orchestra" for anyone who might be interested.

Personally once I heard the elephant camp linkage I just started to think "yeah no doubt another money making scheme for someone who will no doubt have the kids being wheeled out for paying performances, either locally or internationally. But then, even if so I wondered ( assuming the kids are getting looked after) is that even such a bad thing ?

Or, I could of course just be being a terrible cynic and it is just what it's meant to look like i.e some good people doing good things for blind children and letting them enjoy making music? Either way, I guess it can't hurt - right ?

From BBC website....

The Thai Blind Orchestra is made up of young musicians and is run by a man whose daytime job is managing an elephant conservation centre. It’s one of a very few initiatives in Thailand that gives blind children a chance to learn to play instruments. A BBC team went to meet the group at an open-air concert they held at a national park in the north east of Thailand.

Link below for those that are interested.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-39330976

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Thailand's blind children's orchestra - from BBC news website today for anyone interested.

Thanks for posting. I think it's great that these kids have discovered something they really enjoy doing. And being blind need not be a barrier to a musical career. Dame Evelyn Glennie is the world's finest percussion soloist - and blind. Andrea Bocelli sings occasionally in opera performances - and is blind.

I wonder if the elephants who inspired the kids make up the famous Thai elephant orchestra. No, this is no joke. It's been going for at least 20 years and has made 3 CDs.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Elephant_Orchestra

Liked

Re: Thailand's blind children's orchestra - from BBC news website today for anyone interested.

Evelyn Glennie is not blind. She is deaf.
    "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Apologies - she is indeed deaf!

Liked

Thanks for the link, and sounds like the kids are quite happy. Thanks for the reminder as well, as I really need to get my shit together, and begin helping.

Being blind isn't all that bad, and there's some benefits.

- You become much stronger internally. Going blind is quite terrifying, so you have no choice, and find an inner strength you never knew you had before.

- You get to experience human compassion much more. Instead of living in a cold, heartless looney bin of a world that you know is out there, you end up living in a world filled with warmth and compassion. Whether it's just someone just offering you a ride home, helping you cross the street, helping you pick out items from a store, or whatever.

- Your intution is increased. You can no longer read people by their body language or facial expression, so your intuition gets kicked up a notch, and you can pickup on people's vibes and tell what they're feeling / thinking better. I still constantly surprise Leo by telling him what he's thinking, or what he's about to do.

- You concentrate only on the important things in life. Everything now takes three times as long, and is a struggle, hence a lot of bullshit gets cut out of your life. You only care about what truly matters -- the things you'll be thinking about on your death bed. The rest of life is just fluff anyway.

- This is jokingly, but you get to act like more of an idiot in public, because hey, nobody is going to get angry at the blind guy.

- You no longer have any secrets, because you rely on others too much to keep them. May seem like a negative to some people, but it's actually quite liberating.

See, it's not all ad. There's the obvious drawbacks, but I try not to concentrate on those, as that just leads to depression.

But yeah, thanks for the reminder. I need to get my house in order, and begin providing assistance where I can.

n

Liked

While highly impressed by your charitable nature Matt I am curious as to the nature of the help you can give. Please keep us informed as to how you get on as I'm sure many members here will be badgering you for details. Probably quite often.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Attached Images Attached Images
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

8. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (March 23rd, 2017)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Being blind isn't all that bad, and there's some benefits.

- You concentrate only on the important things in life.
    Absolutelty!

Like participating in this forum.

10. 3 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (March 25th, 2017), bobsaigon2 (March 24th, 2017), fountainhall (March 24th, 2017)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post
    Absolutelty!

Like participating in this forum.
    Speak for yourself!

Liked

Don't worry too much about Creepy Christian. I stood him up over 2 years ago, and he still hasn't shut up about it.

Hell, Newalaan stood me up about a year ago. We were supposed to meet for a beer / coffee, and he ended up giving me a call saying he can't make it because he had to cut his trip short due to personal circumstances. My response? I simply said, "no problem, totally understood, and hope you have a safe flight home".

Stand Christian up though? He'll badger you online for over two years saying you're not actually real. In hindsight, I'm very glad I followed my gut and didn't meet him, because just look at how he reacted.