Do you live in the UK/Europe and take vacations in Thailand?

When I arrive in Pattaya, one of the first things that I do – in addition to having my toenails cut in Beach road (!) – is to stock up on Amoxicillin at Boots the Chemist on the second floor of the Royal Garden Plaza. Why? Because if you try to get an appointment with a doctor here in the UK you could wait days or weeks, and for most bacterial infections (not viral infections) you will be prescribed what is called a “broad-based antibiotic” of which Amoxicillin is the favourite. It is principally designed to deal with a range of conditions including throat and nasal Staphylococcus, tonsillitis, bronchitis, pneumonia, gonorrhea, and infections of the ear, nose, throat, skin, or urinary tract, and tooth infections (abscesses) that require, for example, root canal treatment (to name but a few).

If you are under 60 years of age in the UK then you will pay about £8 for this antibiotic if and when you get to see a doctor – and there is no guarantee that he will prescribe the much coveted antibiotic, in view of various directives appealing to medics to restrict the prescription of antibiotics. Over the age of 60 it is free. So, I buy a few packets of Amoxicillin when I am in Patts to take back to the UK and use them when, and if, required. Please, please don’t reply with lots of good advice about the risks of self-diagnosis etc. for I know what I am talking about in this respect.

The cost of a course of 21 tablets (three a day for one week) of 500mg tablets in Thailand – about 150 Baht (about £3.75).

To quote an old TV advert, although I cannot remember which one, “You know it makes sense!”