List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Antibiotics - do you live in the UK and visit Thailand for vacations?

Liked

Antibiotics - do you live in the UK and visit Thailand for vacations?

Do you live in the UK/Europe and take vacations in Thailand?

When I arrive in Pattaya, one of the first things that I do – in addition to having my toenails cut in Beach road (!) – is to stock up on Amoxicillin at Boots the Chemist on the second floor of the Royal Garden Plaza. Why? Because if you try to get an appointment with a doctor here in the UK you could wait days or weeks, and for most bacterial infections (not viral infections) you will be prescribed what is called a “broad-based antibiotic” of which Amoxicillin is the favourite. It is principally designed to deal with a range of conditions including throat and nasal Staphylococcus, tonsillitis, bronchitis, pneumonia, gonorrhea, and infections of the ear, nose, throat, skin, or urinary tract, and tooth infections (abscesses) that require, for example, root canal treatment (to name but a few).

If you are under 60 years of age in the UK then you will pay about £8 for this antibiotic if and when you get to see a doctor – and there is no guarantee that he will prescribe the much coveted antibiotic, in view of various directives appealing to medics to restrict the prescription of antibiotics. Over the age of 60 it is free. So, I buy a few packets of Amoxicillin when I am in Patts to take back to the UK and use them when, and if, required. Please, please don’t reply with lots of good advice about the risks of self-diagnosis etc. for I know what I am talking about in this respect.

The cost of a course of 21 tablets (three a day for one week) of 500mg tablets in Thailand – about 150 Baht (about £3.75).

To quote an old TV advert, although I cannot remember which one, “You know it makes sense!”

Banned
    Liked

Re: Antibiotics - do you live in the UK and visit Thailand for vacations?

Quote Originally Posted by poshglasgow View Post
    stock up on Amoxicillin at Boots the Chemist on the second floor of the Royal Garden Plaza. Why? Because if you try to get an appointment with a doctor here in the UK you could wait days or weeks
    A number of Western countries ask whether you are carrying prescription medication with you and you may have to go through the "Red" channel to declare it

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    A number of Western countries ask whether you are carrying prescription medication with you.
    Certainly that is true for entry to Australia. It is item 1 on your Incoming Passenger Card.
    https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&r...89964907691178
    (Click to enlarge image. Sorry about the photo quality - blame the Govt.)
    [i][color=#0000FF]"One day our descendants will think it incredible that we paid so much attention to things like the amount of melanin in our skin, or the shape of our eyes, or our gender, instead of the unique identities of each of us as complex human beings."
    ~ Franklin Thomas[/color][/i]

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Do you have to fill that in when you return to your own country?

Liked

I purchase Amoxicyllin.

A few years back I had a tooth infection that starts the entire side of the face swelling. On a Friday, so my dentist isn't available until Monday.
    I know he's going to prescribe Amoxicyllin and the medical advice is to start right away before the infection spreads further. However if I get this infecton on a Friday, I'm waiting 3 days to see the dentist. After 3 days, he prescribes Amoxicyllin.
    Much better to have some of this stashed in the back of the freezer, to save waiting.

After root canal treatment, I hope the issue isn't going to flare up again. If it does, I'm ready.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala View Post
    Aussies and Kiwis are totally anal when it comes to customs declarations. Since both are surrounded by sea and want to maintain a "clean, green" marketing image, "biosecurity" ranks high - there are even whole reality television shows filming travelers arriving - or residents returning - being ritually humiliated via their baggage searches and interrogation by customs officials. There are mandatory screenings on all incoming aircraft warning all passengers about making false declarations and threatening substantial on-the-spot fines

7. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (March 21st, 2017)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala View Post
    Yes. Every time any person enters the country. It is never stated, but a letter from your home-country Doctor confirming your need for the drug(s) carried is usually enough for Customs (but don't bet on it, esp if a dog has been sniffing around your bags between the aircraft and the carousel.)
    [i][color=#0000FF]"One day our descendants will think it incredible that we paid so much attention to things like the amount of melanin in our skin, or the shape of our eyes, or our gender, instead of the unique identities of each of us as complex human beings."

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    Aussies and Kiwis are totally anal when it comes to customs declarations. ..... and threatening substantial on-the-spot fines
    Totally anal - Yes ! Also a damned annoyance. And it contributes not-very-much to stopping the flow of illegal drugs.

Fines: Yes, anything from a few hundred dollars to 50,000. If you have been very naughty, serious gaol-time will result. Then deportation with a life-long ban on re-visiting.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Yraen View Post
    Totally anal - Yes ! Also a damned annoyance. And it contributes not-very-much to stopping the flow of illegal drugs.
    You've missed the point completely. It's about biosecurity - plant & meat products and by-products, not illegal drugs (asuming you mean heroin and cocaine). By-products can include some pharmaceuticals. It also includes honey - a food. No sane person expects customs declarations to catch drug smugglers.

Some pharmaceuticals available overseas are banned in some countries because they are not licensed for sale. Nembutal (Pentobarbital) for example is available in some countries including I believe Thailand more or less legally, and is the suicide drug of choice for euthanasia advocates, but is banned in many other countries including, so I'm told, Australia.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Yraen View Post
    Yes. Every time any person enters the country. It is never stated, but a letter from your home-country Doctor confirming your need for the drug(s) carried is usually enough for Customs
    i have never transitted at Dubai but recall there was a scare when Qantas entered its alliance with Emirates. Allegedly Dubai requires the copy of a doctor's prescription for all medication - even panadol. Anyone know if this is fact?