Quick navigation:
List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

View Poll Results: Go-Go Bars around 1997 were more popular/successful because (select as many as you believe applicabl

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • There were more bars and therefore greater variety of choice

4 17.39%
  • They were more fun

12 52.17%
  • The boys on stage were more engaged in giving patrons a good time

11 47.83%
  • There was a better selection of boys

12 52.17%
  • Shows were generally more interesting/sexy

4 17.39%
  • Shows were MUCH more interesting/sexy

12 52.17%
  • Mamasans were less pushy/obnoxious

6 26.09%
  • I usually left feeling I had had a good time

7 30.43%
  • The boys I offed seemed more interested in giving me a good time

10 43.48%
  • I had fewer duds when offing a boy

1 4.35%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Changes in Bangkok's Go-Go Bars

Forum's veteran
    Liked

The Changes in Bangkok's Go-Go Bars

For some time, there has been discussion in all the chat rooms about the “good old days” and how much better they were then than now. Many reasons have been given but finding out each member's reasons means wading through quite a number of posts. So I thought it might be interesting to post a simple poll for those who remember the bars 20 years ago to give their reasons more concisely. I have deliberately allowed the poll to be viewed by non-members. I'm not sure if they are able to vote. If so we might obtain a better perspective.

I have deliberately left out any mention of prices. It is generally agreed that drink prices now are outrageous. Official annual Thai inflation rates since the year 1997 have varied between 8.10% in 1998 and -0.90% in 2015. Compound inflation appears to have been somewhere in the region of 70% - 80% during these 20 years. The value of the Baht has also dropped from US$1 = 25 in the years up to 1997 to Bt. 35 now.

As a very rough guide, therefore, basic costs should have gone up by at least 100% since 1997. But this excludes items like tea money payments and the likelihood of higher rents. It also omits the rise in incomes and living standards during the period throughout the country. So I have left out any mention of prices.

Last edited by fountainhall; March 7th, 2017 at 09:26.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: The Changes in Bangkok's Go-Go Bars

Where's the box for I have no idea, I was barely even born then !! :-) ok maybe a "slight" exaggeration but still..... close enough.

3. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (March 9th, 2017)

Liked

Ditto

Surely anyone old enough to remember 1997 in Thailand will be unlikely to be able to even see your poll without the aid of a very large magnifying glass?

Even then, by the time they've read the 10th option they'll have forgotten the first 9

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Oh, you boys are funny! You could be 40 by now - although I know that would be libellous! The poll is for those who were here 20 years or more ago. Judging from a number of lengthy threads, plenty of posters and probably also readers were around at that time to vote and make comments. Besides, if you start much later, Thaksin's Social Order campaigns come into the picture, and like it or not they did start to change the old go-go bar model.

Liked

Isn't the answer all of the above choices?
    ..........and that's the way it is.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

SG- Very hurtful comments, sir. (I could not find an emoji with tears streaming down its face.) I did not need a magnifying glass. Just had to switch to my near vision lenses. Eyesight much improved after cataract surgery (in US). And surgery for a detached retina (in Vietnam). And I do have to favor my right foot because of a bit of surgery gone wrong. And then there are weakened lungs after 60 years of smoking. And the deep vein thrombosis. BUT, please be advised that I and others in the 70+ group still remember more Bangkok sexual encounters than some of our readers will ever have the chance to duplicate (a447 and N'irish are the exceptions). Now, what was the topic of this thread? Never mind. Tomorrow morning I'll think of it while taking my quite unassisted shower.

8. 5 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (March 7th, 2017), BenCH (March 12th, 2017), christianpfc (March 9th, 2017), scottish-guy (March 8th, 2017), TaoR (March 8th, 2017)

Liked

Are you sure this poll is a good idea? The last time these octogenarian one foot in the grave fossils voted they chose to leave the EU.

10. 2 Users gave Like to post:

BenCH (March 12th, 2017), TaoR (March 8th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

In my case, that would be septuagenarian, please.

Liked

I hadn't discovered Thailand in 1997, but have been making up for it since.

I have read reports of fully naked boys in some gogo bars. No idea if that was common, rare or the exception, but it would certainly add to the appeal.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    Ditto

Surely anyone old enough to remember 1997 in Thailand will be unlikely to be able to even see your poll without the aid of a very large magnifying glass?

Even then, by the time they've read the 10th option they'll have forgotten the first 9

Which reminded me of the following in relation to age...

At age 4 success is . . . .not wetting your pants.
    At age 12 success is . . . having friends.
    At age 17 success is . . having a driver's licence.
    At age 35 success is . . . having money.
    At age 50 success is . . . having money.
    At age 70 success is . .. .having a driver’s license.
    At age 75 success is . . . having friends.
    At age 80 success is . . . not wetting your pants.

14. 5 Users gave Like to post:

BenCH (March 12th, 2017), bobsaigon2 (March 8th, 2017), christianpfc (March 9th, 2017), TaoR (March 8th, 2017), werner (January 10th, 2019)