Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Indigo French Restauant Bangkok

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Indigo French Restauant Bangkok

This is a fine French restaurant off of Soi Convent near Soi 4 Silom. This was my second visit had l'escargot, boeuf bourguignon, shared a bottle of wine and an order of profiteroles all excellent, my bill including service was 1450bht. open for lunch & dinner.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/Indigo/438516816191154

2. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (March 5th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Indigo French Restauant Bangkok

Funny how exactly the same post, word for word, was posted on gaybuttonthai about 24 hours ago by the poster undaunted!

I'll add what I said there. Yes, I had some good meals there until about 3 years ago when the owner, very drunk, came over to the table where my friends and I were having drinks and started out on what can only be described as a major homophobic rant. None of us have ever been back since and have no intention of changing that decision.

Nirish had an even worse experience!

4. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (March 12th, 2017)

Liked

No surprise, most know I am "Undaunted" on Gaybutton's forum.....and I will say what my experience was, we had a lovely dinner, at the end of our meal the owner asked how we enjoyed the meal we spoke a bit and he sent us 2 glasses of cognac and a Shirley Temple for the boy (A very camp twink), My only guess is that it is a new owner or he has seen the error of his ways and I certainly will return. B.T.W. we were not the only gay people dining at Indigo Friday evening.
    Last edited by Manforallseasons; March 5th, 2017 at 17:22.

6. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (March 5th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by fountainhall View Post
    Nirish had an even worse experience!
    Indeed I had FH and I remember it well. Probably one of THE worst ever homophobic experiences I've ever had in my life ( and coming from Ireland thats saying something I can tell you) and certainly the worst I've ever experienced when in Thailand. If it hadn't been for the very high chance of ME being the one to get arrested as the holidaying farang as opposed to the loutish ( but police paying off and thus protected ) owner that guy may have encountered a very different outcome that night in his restaurant.

I wonder though in reading the two very different accounts above are you both talking of the same "owner" ?

FH I've no doubt that you're talking about the same old owner that I encountered, but I heard he'd all but retired due to il health perhaps and his son had now taken over ( VERY straight - (but seemingly spends time in Telephone bar Soi 4 more than some of us it seems if I heard correctly and in fact THAT may have been why his father is and was such a homophobic prick).

So I wonder assuming that MFAS / FREQUENT's post is also accurate that was this then the SON who he encountered ( who might be probably late 30s / easily 40s?) ?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I've just searched back for that old thread ( 2012 !) but I see that was one of many that Neal deleted in his good old spiteful days of yore. However what he forgot ( and I had forgotten also) was the gay massage shop beside the restaurant also had a massive problem with this guy and the owner of shop had posted to the board at that time supporting my view and explaining his problems, Neal then ( who as I found out later had already had a row with this same owner previously ( over almost nothing and some very minor slight between the pair of them) then acted true to form suggesting he was "worried about being sued" ( just for a change) and suggested he would look into it before allowing more posting etc, however as I discovered later he point blank refused to even take a call from massage shop owner so they could discuss it or him prove his case ( no surprise there I guess and he wasn't so worried about being sued when talking about food poisoning from someones apparently dodgy soup from what I recall.....anyway, I digress...

Anyway, so whilst the original thread has been deleted I did find a portion of it below which gives the story - and even now on reading it it brings it all back and whilst I'm sure their food is lovely IMHO no self respecting gay man should ever give this guy a single baht of their money - and just because he doesn't realise you're gay so you "get away with it" in his restaurant really isn't the point maybe.

So, copied ( and edited to read making sense in THIS thread) but taken from 2012 thread ......

The trouble with that evil twat in indigo is nothing short of an unhinged HATRED of all gay people there is no other issue and everything derives from that issue, I believe he may have several other serious character flaws as well but as it was only the vicious and could have been violent if I'd have been smaller / weaker / softer etc homophobia that I witnessed so I'll stick to that.

And to recap the ONLY reason - and I can't stress that enough - the ONLY reason we were chucked out was that after the owner spotted us and made the assumption that we were gay and my BF was "obviously" a money boy, (he wasn't wrong there actually but my bf was mature and well dressed and actually we'd just left the banyan tree which has a strict dress code so there was no question of us looking out of place ). But on him deciding we were not wanted he had his manager go through a whole charade about how we had stolen someone's table ( there weren't even any other customers waiting for tables) and even after his own staff backing US up and saying we hadn't etc he then simply gave up the charade and said "just get out, we don't want "your sorts" in here and when I pulled him on that and said "what do you mean your sorts, what you have a problem with me because I'm gay" to which he then gave up all pretence and just went off on one calling us faggots and shouting get out, just get out, and repeated the whole not wanting your sorts thing several times / plus pointing at me whilst saying it all like I was some piece of shit on his shoe. When we did leave he then went outside after us into the soi where he thought his customers couldn't hear he really let fly with lots of FUCK OFFs, DON'T COME BACK, FUCKING FAGGOTS - and lots more - which I happily admit to matching him swear word for swear word on by that point !!

So, I don't think there will be a natural conclusion to this, he is what he is, an ( in my view mentally unstable) bitter deeply unhinged homophobe - and I think the crazy thing is if any one asks him he'll happily confirm this for you - which is why I think it's hilarious some of his customers are defending him without simply asking him "is he" and did this all happen or not - and if he says no then I'm happy to leave it up to people to make up their own minds but I'm fairly sure he'll happily back up my report and if you tell him your gay and that's why you're ringing will call you a sick faggot and hang up on you!

The above ( slightly edited above as I've already confirmed simply to make it read better and make more sense in the context of reading it now) can be found at....

http://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showth...ghlight=indigo

Liked

Remembering Neal he wouldn't have had to be gay to be thrown out of someplace he need only have been himself.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    So I wonder assuming that MFAS / FREQUENT's post

Apologies, I should of course have said MFAS / UNDAUNTED's post there not / Frequent's - my mistake.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    So I wonder assuming that MFAS / FREQUENT's post is also accurate that was this then the SON who he encountered ( who might be probably late 30s / easily 40s?) ?
    Certainly a possibility, although he did not seem especially old to us. Trip-adviser has a few bad reviews from last summer specifically mentioning the manager. Before he came up to our table about 3 years ago, none of us had had any problem with him, even though we'd heard him and his pals drinking and loudly chatting at his table. I had been impressed that quite a number of French nationals went to the restaurant. The only meal my friends and I did not enjoy was a special Christmas dinner when the turkey was some rolled up processed nonsense. Apart from that, we enjoyed the other meals there. Then came the homophobic rant of ridiculous drunken proportions. If he has disappeared, I would consider going again. If not, I will not go near the place.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by fountainhall View Post
    Certainly a possibility, although he did not seem especially old to us. Trip-adviser has a few bad reviews from last summer specifically mentioning the manager. Before he came up to our table about 3 years ago, none of us had had any problem with him, even though we'd heard him and his pals drinking and loudly chatting at his table. I had been impressed that quite a number of French nationals went to the restaurant. The only meal my friends and I did not enjoy was a special Christmas dinner when the turkey was some rolled up processed nonsense. Apart from that, we enjoyed the other meals there. Then came the homophobic rant of ridiculous drunken proportions. If he has disappeared, I would consider going again. If not, I will not go near the place.
    Please, I did like this place for the reasonably priced quality food and service, and it is convenient to Soi 4 where a friend is part owner of a bar. I am with Foutainhall in that if the gay friendly son is now running the place I would return, but will not go if the same owner is there. We will be back in Bangkok in September for two weeks before going to Chiang Mai. So is there any way someone can definitively check this place out and find out if there is a new owner?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Khor tose View Post
    . . . So is there any way someone can definitively check this place out and find out if there is a new owner?
    Indigo Bar & Restaurant
    In a small soi, off Convent Road, Silom, Bangkok 10500

By coincidence, Khor tose, I was invited to attend a lunch group at Indigo Bar & Restaurant. We met yesterday and I shall report here on my experience. I had never previously eaten at this restaurant, but vividly remember the report by NIrish guy at the time. Given the previous reports of anti-gay behaviour by the owner of this establishment, I had mixed feelings about attending the lunch.

There were five gay westerners in attendance, all of whom could be politely described as mature gentlemen. I brought up the subject of past bad reports. One member of the group said he had been coming to the restaurant for more than 16 years and had never seen any of the homophobic behaviour I referred to. He added that it has always been busy when he has eaten at the restaurant. It was certainly busy when I attended.

He did however say that he was aware of the animosity between the restaurant owner and the former owner of the Fan Club massage parlour, which is now closed and was located almost directly opposite the restaurant.

The restaurant had a quality look to it and I expected it to be expensive, but it wasn’t. We all chose the fixed rate lunch menu costing 420 baht. Customers can choose to have a starter or dessert, plus main course for the fixed price. Our individual share of the bill was 530 baht. No one drank alcohol; we all stuck to bottled water.

Customers have the choice of eating outside in the courtyard or inside the restaurant. We ate inside. There was a good, friendly atmosphere, the table was impeccably dressed and laid out, again giving the feeling of a more expensive restaurant.

I then asked if there had been a change of management since the reported problems with Fan Club. I was told that the old owner is still in attendance and I was directed to a person sitting at the bar. Unfortunately, the bar was too far away from our table and my eyesight isn’t good enough to describe him. But he was certainly an older gentleman and I believe he was the one NIrish guy previously reported on. I was told he isn’t the friendliest restaurant owner they’d ever encountered, and he had never made any homophobic comments towards them or interacted with their group or with any of the group when they ate there individually.

We had no problems with the service, or the management. I wondered what it would have been like if we had any young Thais eating with us, suspecting that seeing an older male fa-ràng with a young Thai boy might bring out the reported anti-gay behaviour previously reported on. I was told that occasionally one of the group would bring along a young Thai guy, but again, they had never experienced any problems from the owner or anyone else at the restaurant.

As I was leaving, the son/manager (?), whom was standing at the bar area, nodded and smiled at me in appreciation of my custom and I nodded and smiled back in reply. It would seem therefore that the older owner still attends, but how much involvement he has in the running of the restaurant I was unable to find out.

I am sorry, but that’s the best that I can do. I hope it goes some way to answering some of the questions that members have about this restaurant.

14. User who gave Like to post:

Khor tose (March 10th, 2017)