Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pattaya - New Crackdown

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Pattaya - New Crackdown

Yes, it's been proclaimed before, raids on the bars have happened, a few yabba users and non-Thais are taken off to a police station - and everything then gets back to normal. But will it this time?

On 21 February 2017, Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha, the Prime Minister and junta head, announced that he will order the police to uproot Pattaya’s sex industry. He asserted that local authorities always do their best to suppress the industry.
    The reason on this occasion seems to be a report in one of the UK's newspaper rags, The Daily Mirror. This claimed that Pattaya was the "world's sex capital" with the "world's highest number of prostitutes."

Prayut was unhappy both at the report appearing in an international journal and at the Thai media following it up!

“You’re the Thai media. Do you believe them? Do the authorities arrest [prostitutes]? Yes, they do. I will order the police to clear them out. And let’s see if there will be any trouble. I don’t support prostitution. I follow the law,” said Prayut. “Instead of improving Thailand’s image, you [media] just keep blaming the government. Why? I don’t get it.”
    Will this just blow over as before? In the last three days there have been raids on girlie go-go bars with several ordered to close down. So far as I know, there have been no raids yet in the gay areas.

http://prachatai.org/english/node/6942

Liked

Re: Pattaya - New Crackdown

I hope it blows over. Where else to go? There is nothing like Pattaya in the world.
    But I can't believe they handle it too serious. Too many Thais depend on sex tourism, directly or indirectly.

And sex is a big reason for a lot of tourists why they are visiting Thailand. Curious how much of a drop the number of tourists to Thailand will take, if this really is implemented. At that moment we will know for sure what percentage of tourists to Thailand were mainly sex tourists all these years. I expect a drop of 20% in tourism (gut feeling).

Liked

I tittered quietly at the idea of Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha sitting over his breakfast, reading the Daily Mirror, and spluttering his tea and toast everywhere when he came to that article.

However I almost pissed myself at Founty's description of it as "an international journal" - as if it was anything other than a rabid left-wing tits and bum rag which ranks marginally above the Daily Star and which publishes content geared at a reading-age of 8*

(* As a comparison, the average reading-age in the UK is (shockingly) 9 - with The Guardian having a reading-age of 14! This tells us all we need to know about the alleged quality of the rapidly dying U.K. press)

However, the most worrying thing is Founty's suggestion that Thai Govt. policy is made in reaction to the content of tomorrow's fish and chip wrappings. I say "worrying" because he's probably right!!

Last edited by scottish-guy; February 24th, 2017 at 14:28.

Liked

i love how the Pm seemingly tried to act if he was surprised, and just now learning that Pattaya has prostitutes.

Qw'll aww qhT Gppwna I fuwaa. I would imagine he's hyping up what will actually happen though, because bnotherwise unemployment will skyrocket in Pattaya.
    as if he's new information to him.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    ...Qw'll aww qhT Gppwna I fuwaa...
    Well, exactly!

I couldn't have put it better myself!!

Liked

At least the owners of Boyz,Boyz, Boyz put loin cloths on the statues in front of their establishment to hide the huge erections from prying eyes.

Liked

I assume the loin cloth fell off when I was there...

IMG_1077.jpg

..... and you call that an erection??

Liked

Well, you first have to rub it a bit and see what happens. That is what the Chinese ladies like to do.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    However I almost pissed myself at Founty's description of it as "an international journal" - as if it was anything other than a rabid left-wing tits and bum rag which ranks marginally above the Daily Star and which publishes content geared at a reading-age of 8*
    Now, now, Scotty! Did I not describe it as

Quote Originally Posted by fountainhall View Post
    one of the UK's newspaper rags
    Clearly though it is not even worthy of that sordid description. Perhaps it's now on a par with the dreadful Times.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Qw'll aww qhT Gppwna I fuwaa.

What part of your recent explanation of how you, as a blind man, type would lead to a sentence like that??

I mean, you told us that as you type, the computer reads out each letter.

Have you also now gone deaf?