Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pattaya bars - a review

Liked

Re: Pattaya bars - a review

After reading poshglasgow's (can "posh" and "glasgow" be mentioned in the same sentence, let alone the same word?) posts, I'm now reluctant to post my own tales of lust in LOS! I mean, how do I follow that??
    Posting here will never be the same again! Lol

Superb style, poshglasgow. I loved every word.

.BTW, the story of the boy who drowned is very sad indeed.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    ..it is perfectly clear to me you’re not from the posh side of Glasgow....
    Im struggling to acknowledge (as a447 suggests) that there's a posh side of Glasgow at all. The two most expensive areas are technically outside Glasgow City which only leaves Kelvinside where the people are not so much posh as "aw fur coat and nae knickers".

The only time the elderly queens of that area travel Port Out and Starboard Home is on the bus with their concession ticket after a soujourn to Miss Cranston's for tea & scones..... and banter

Forum's veteran
    Liked

That sounded amusing. May we now have the translation?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    Im struggling to acknowledge (as a447 suggests) that there's a posh side of Glasgow at all. The two most expensive areas are technically outside Glasgow City which only leaves Kelvinside where the people are not so much posh as "aw fur coat and nae knickers" . . .
    Well, scottish-guy, strangely enough, I was thinking exactly the same thing myself. But after your comment, in reaction to my post at number #16, I was, understandably, reluctant to voice my thoughts on the forum.

God alone knows what a torrent of abuse I might have received. The only thing worse I can think of is something I heard the Scottish gay comedian, Craig Hill, say at a show at the Edinburgh Festival. And that was to call someone, er, em, . . . forgive me, members of a delicate constitution, and do remember I am quoting . . . “Hey you! CuntyMcFuck!”

Liked

Thank you for the kind comments. I am glad that many of you have enjoyed walking with me among some of the ghosts of Pattaya.

Let me reciprocate the compliment. I admire the writing skills of many on this board, particularly (and please understand that this is not a case of the Scots sticking together) Scottish-Guy. I have read many of his posts and enjoyed them immensely – as I have the posts of many of you. What I find slightly disturbing and upsetting are the spats that break out between members but it is great to see some sensible intervention by members and the administrator to cool things down. God knows that at some time in our lives as gay men we have had to overcome attacks and marginalisation from many quarters, without attacking each other at this stage in our lives.

Now, the question was asked: is there are a posh area of Glasgow. Well, when I was born in the city in the early fifties in the Kelvinside area in the West it was indeed a most beautiful area and I’m please to say that many parts of the West End have retained some startling architectural features.

Something completely different. I have been reading the posts about the Daily Mirror’s (not a rag that I read) proclamation that Pattaya is ‘sin city’. What I think we have to watch is the possible fallout - the authority’s reaction to what they perceive to be international bad press. We don’t want them to over-react and carpet bomb areas of the city to clean it up. It is what it is! But there was nothing new in that report and there are so many fine tourist attractions in this great country that talk of prostitutes is not going to harm the tourist trade one bit. One post that I read mentioned the devastating effect of cleansing the city of its ubiquitous nightlife with so many Thai nationals depending on it for their income – much of which is sent back home to the farms and rice fields.

I think the Mirror is doing what the News of the World did for years before its welcome demise: paint Pattaya and Thailand in the worst possible light ever. In so doing - and this is the paradox – it stirred a curiosity among thousands of its readers, inadvertently increasing the number of people who wanted to visit the city!! So, in a way, it was great for tourism. Let them write what they like but we have to watch for any over-reaction which could lead to a gradual dismantling of the Pattaya that we all know and love.

We’ve all been down this road before with the newspaper features on the Sunee Plaza and Royal Garden Plaza of yesteryear. But that sleeze moved on somewhere else a long time ago. I see no sign now, whatsoever, of the issues that once haunted certain areas of the city, and I am quite convinced that the world now has that message too.
    Let them write about girlie bars and Walking Street: who gives a damn? My own view? Things are not going to change very much any time soon.

6. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (February 26th, 2017), Surfcrest (February 28th, 2017)

Liked

Poshglasgow,
    You write so well. English is my third language, and I have learned so much about writing from reading your posts.

Please also write about the Bangkok scene.

I look forward to your future posts.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by poshglasgow
    I have been reading the posts about the Daily Mirror’s … proclamation that Pattaya is ‘sin city’. ……there are so many fine tourist attractions in this great country that talk of prostitutes is not going to harm the tourist trade one bit.
    I find that to be a very naïve statement. Most tourists who do indeed visit this ‘great county’ for the ‘many fine tourist attractions’ usually keep well clear of Pattaya, for the very reason of it’s reputation of Sin City. That is what the current government is trying to change.

Hundreds of thousands of Chinese Tourists are starting to travel across Asia and, in the coming years, there are likely to be similar numbers of similarly wealthy Indian tourists. The vast majority of these people are seeking family-orientated experiences and are not sex-tourists intent on spending their Yuan or Rupee in Sunee Plaza or Walking Street.

I think the Mirror is …[tying to] ….paint Pattaya and Thailand in the worst possible light ever. In so doing - and this is the paradox – it stirred a curiosity among thousands of its readers, inadvertently increasing the number of people who wanted to visit the city!! So, in a way, it was great for tourism.
    Another very naïve statement: A few thousand Mirror readers from the UK, whose curiosity is piqued by such titivating articles, will make no difference, one way or other to Pattaya’s tourism industry.

We’ve all been down this road before with the newspaper features on the Sunee Plaza and Royal Garden Plaza of yesteryear. But that sleeze moved on somewhere else a long time ago. I see no sign now, whatsoever, of the issues that once haunted certain areas of the city, and I am quite convinced that the world now has that message too.
    Naïve statement #3: The world’s perception of Pattaya is still exactly as those articles from yesteryear portrayed it. Most tourists looking for a great location for a family holiday will not be satisfied by the precise age of a sex-worker on an ID card, As long as there are bars with young boys and girls on stage in their underwear, even if they all turned 18 last week, the majority of tourists will go elsewhere.

Let them write about girlie bars and Walking Street: who gives a damn? My own view? Things are not going to change very much any time soon.
    Don’t look now dear, but that was #4: Most other posters on this forum suggest that things have already changed a lot and that the rate of change is increasing…..

Liked

Most kind of you to say so Werner. Good luck with your language studies and continued progress in English.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMee View Post
    Most tourists who do indeed visit this ‘great county’ for the ‘many fine tourist attractions’ usually keep well clear of Pattaya
    I'd have thought many people do indeed think of Pattaya as a great county but I fear you've got one too many vowels there

Liked

Cunny or cunty?