Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pattaya bars - a review

Liked

Pattaya bars - a review

Just returned from a few days in Pattaya, my 30th trip since 1993 and still I return, whilst claiming at the end of each visit that I shall venture further afield in South East Asia and give Pattaya a rest. However, there is some magnetic charm about ‘Patts’ that entices you back year after year, despite being hellishly irritated by the usual things which have always, eh, hellishly irritated us: trying to cross Beach and Second Roads, bloody annoying mamasams (don't you just hate them?)and being levered by drivers' wives into the back of their husbands' baht buses outside smart school 8, bound for Jomtien.
    "Christ, woman, there's sixty four of us aboard already, can we get going now?"
    "Move up, move up, only eight more. Go soon, no problem. Hey, why that poom-poo-ee farang stop breathing?"

I recall how, from the old wooden pier adjacent to the infamous Siren Bar, above which was a memorable neon Marilyn Monroe with her skirt up around her eyes, I would cast a few coins into the sea and wish to return - which I did, and then wish I hadn't, feeling that I had wasted money with which I could have visited Siem Reap or Saigon. Every bloody year it's the same mantra: “Right, I've done the Pattaya thing, that's it; from now on it's Skegness or Loch Ness." And then, after a few moments madness, I book a flight to Thailand!

Oh, incidentally, many thanks for the nudge about the Pattaya Beer Bar. It was jumping every night and it is indeed a fine place for a sundowner.

In the earlier years I would stay at Dudley's Penthouse - now some kind of 'cattery', for it advertises kittens (I’ve seen the notice outside): a veritable hunting ground these days for the straight clientele destined to treat their dish of the day to an array of toys and apparatus in rooms adorned with mirrors, poles (not from Poland), swings and dance podiums. Do these people ever make it to bed or do they eventually fall asleep on their swings, drop off and fracture an arm? Incidentally, Dudley is a great guy: very inclusive, very old-school English and gay-friendly, but I could not bring myself to use the Penthouse after about the year 2000, as it had become so straight-orientated with an array of heavily tattooed Neanderthals bearing clubs carrying Thai kittens to the playrooms: probably seriously homophobic with few exceptions. Imagine wading through that spectacle of humanity with a young chap on your arm straight from Kawaii Boys?
    “This ain’t a place for poofters so best you sling yer ‘ook and head for the hills.”
    Maybe they’d be quite unlike that and rather more the welcoming sort.
    “Me and my kitten, Yupin, yeah, would like to invite you both to share a little nightcap, and a push on our bedroom swing.”

Okay, enough reminiscing.

Sunee Plaza. Oh my God, it's depressing; year-on-year it gets worse. I don't know about you, but as I wander the Plaza and Boyztown (in the old days of Ian and Robbie at Cafe Royale, and Jim and Gordon at the Ambiance it was "Boystown" and not "Boyztown"), I am accompanied by a hundred whispering ghosts reminding me of when Sunee was vibrant with bars and clubs a-plenty. Memories reach out and claw at you as you pass former venues, now closed, that were so much fun to visit in its heyday. Now, I hear only rumours of its imminent demise and some plans for its development. It’s like walking through the tragedy that is East Aleppo: there are some comparisons.
    The Corner Bar changes not one bit, with Mama Pai picking away at chicken behind the bar while her son, Joy, runs around delivering drinks. Okay, strolls around delivering the occasional drink.

And speaking of the Cafe Royale, what on earth have they done to the place? I loved it the way it was. One would enter the bar to find the rotund Ian screaming, "FISH! FISH! FISH!" because a woman had dared to enter the bar to sit and ogle at the young male pianist at the grand piano.
    "Come on, darling, what colour are they?" he would ask in a voice not unlike that of Phil Mitchell in Eastenders, as a lithesome waiter wandered past him delivering drinks in his pink shirt and tight white shorts.
    "Blue," came the obedient, hushed reply.
    Ian would sit up on his bar stool and take interest. "Well come them, darling, let's have look."
    And the inspection would take place amid the madding crowd.

Oh, and don't get me started on mamasams. The ultimate she-bitch from hell lurks in the dark recesses of Cupidol. One would hang a photo of her above the open fire in a pub to deter children from going to close to it. I had encountered this ladyboy/woman (not sure - 'up to you') on both my visits last year. Jesus, she is the most irritating creature I have ever encountered in my many years visiting Pattaya bars. She takes the crown. BUT...now she has given birth or self-mutated, or a part of her has fallen off in the dark and has lain unnoticed growing into another mamasam, bearing an uncanny resemblance to the shorter queen of annoyance. There are now two bloody mamasams in Cupidol.
    The bitch herself hits on you as soon as you enter Twinky Palace. She slides herself over to you and buries herself into your waist, taking your arm and stroking your hand.
    "What number?"
    "I've only just arrived, can I order a drink?"
    "Number twenty, he smoke you good. Number four, he do everything."
    Then her bloody annoying offshoot arrives and she spins around with her right arm outstretched like a magician's assistant, as she 'presents' the goods on stage. She smiles broadly but doesn't speak. Indeed, there's something of the mad house about her; locked for years in a short-time room in the old premises, she has suddenly been released into the community.

I must take a break here. I will return tomorrow to continue the report.

2. 10 Users gave Like to post:

Aux1010 (February 25th, 2017), christianpfc (February 23rd, 2017), Doug (February 22nd, 2017), fountainhall (February 22nd, 2017), gerefan2 (February 23rd, 2017), ggobob (February 22nd, 2017), Moses (February 23rd, 2017), Oliver (February 22nd, 2017), Surfcrest (February 22nd, 2017), werner (February 26th, 2017)

Liked

Re: Pattaya bars - a review

Quote Originally Posted by poshglasgow View Post
    Oh, incidentally, many thanks for the nudge about the Pattaya Beer Bar. It was jumping every night and it is indeed a fine place for a sundowner.
    I presume you mean Pattaya Beer Garden? Glad you liked there... I will let my BF know you approved it!

Quote Originally Posted by poshglasgow View Post
    The ultimate she-bitch from hell lurks in the dark recesses of Cupidol.
    Not sure which of the mamasans you are referring to... But I have known Em for years(he used to own Nok Nok and ran Sawatdee boys and MicMy in the past) and I find him ok.

Although opinions on him can be quite polarizing... Note I call Em a "he" as for me he will always be the guy in hip hop clothes I remember from years ago!

One thing for sure is he knows how to recruit cute guys, cupidol definitely has the best collection of twinky boys in Pattaya at the moment... and he also knows to create an atmosphere in a bar (of course atmosphere can again be polarizing - but I prefer a bit of boister to the staid coldness of some of the bars!)
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Poshglasgow: A beautifully written post. Rather a bit too literary to be confined to SGT. Deserves a wider audience.

Liked

Yes. A fantastic combination of memories past and experiences now. Thanks Poshglasgow.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Wonderful writing, poshglasgow! A quality of prose rarely seen here. Do please post more often.

Liked

Can't wait for the next installment.

Liked

There was the most incredible dancer in Throb, circa 2003/2004, called 'Art' with whom I very nearly fell in love. That's a lie, I did fall in love with him. He had the most beautiful face and bleached hair, and his dancing prowess was that of a gracious adonis. When I called him over to sit with me after the show on my first encounter with him I felt that I had effected the most beautiful, valuable catch in the whole of the local gay community that evening, until (cue the opening bars of the music for Jaws) a wealthy, colossal German entered the bar with an entourage of pallbearers, punkhawallas, petal scatterers, trumpeters, minders and half a football team of young Thai men hanging on his arms. Suddenly this man became the focus of attention and Art mumbled something about returning later and moved off to join the German's party. I did, however, meet up with Art on many occasions after that night. And then a year later - come on we've all experienced this one - I arrived into Don Muang(as one did in those days)eager to beat a path to the door of Throb to find Art and pick up where we had left off, but he had gone.
    "Gone where?" I asked the mamasan.
    "Not sure, I think he go with German man."
    "Which German man?"
    "Not sure."
    And then one of the other waiters approached with some good and some bad news. This is a waiter who eventually went to Dream Boys and one whom I had always tipped well when at Throb. He massaged my neck and arms with great care and precision, and although not attractive he was attentive and professional.
    "Art, he go new bar: Happy Place. He manager."
    I left Throb and went immediately to Pattayaland Soi 2 and straight into Happy Place (I think I've got the correct name of the now empty bar which stands next to a restaurant which, in those days, I think was called the New Orleans). Art was there. We picked up where we left off and spent some quality time together. I returned to the UK to make some more money to re-visit. Six months later, I was back in Pattaya to see Art. I was becoming besotted: hooked. Was this what love felt like? I entered Happy Place.
    "Art, not work here now."
    "Christ, not again. Where he go? Why he go?" I'm in Pattaya five minutes and already I'm speaking like a five-year-old on the verge of a tantrum at the check-out!
    "I don't know, I think he go back home."
    He consulted one of the other waiters and returned with more news - dreadful news; ghastly news; the worst sort of news short of death by motorcycle!
    "Art, he now manager in XXXXX," and he told me the name of a well-known girlie bar in Pattayaland Soi 2.
    "Eh?"
    "He manager."
    "A girlie bar?"
    "Sure."
    I froze. In a little under five minutes I would enter one of the most vibrant, heel-kicking, Ping-Pong ball-popping, dart-firing girlie bars in South East Asia: no, in the world! Would I survive? The prospect filled me with fear and trepidation. What if a girl were to jump from the stage onto my face? How am I going to deal with an environment which had never held the slightest fascination for me?

Art was there. He was moving around the stage much as a shepherd does near the sheep pen in the final moments of the sheepdog's triumph, and it was some time before he saw me. I was spellbound. I had never seen so many naked tits in my life, and I had a sudden irrational fear that one of the girls would creep up behind me and shove her tit in my mouth! God knows why that thought pervaded my entire psyche at that moment. The last time I had a tit in my mouth was when I was six months old and even then I had to share it with a man who smoked sixty gold flake a day!

Art and I lost touch some years ago. He went for a time to a bar in Soi Twilight and from there to Germany (quelle surprise). The last I heard was that he had returned to Patts, bought a motorbike with a 'mobile kitchen' attached to it and had a patch somewhere near Second Road. I couldn't help thinking that the versatility and speed of his wrists were going to be bloody useful when attacking the wok!

Last week, I drank enough beer to give me enough courage to venture into Eros. My God, how long has the tall blond worked that bar now I wonder? With a skip onto the podium and a flick of the loin cloth he's up in front of your face. Like sharks, the rest of the shoal swim over to circle the new Farang; the scent of the wallet so strong that it attracts them from miles around. I smile politely and avoid eye contact. And then, thank God, and on cue in comes the big fellow with the sticks, white shin-length socks and a hair do not unlike Trump's. He's been on the circuit a few years. He sits down opposite the door and Wham!! They're on him. It's like something out of an Alfred Hitchcock movie. He's covered in boys! They're on his lap, they're at his back, two on the floor: every available seat around his is taken by them. I sit alone, look around me and then I focus, nostalgically, on the curtain which conceals an area where once, on a previous visit, I was led by an enthusiastic host to a couch.

Maybe a few more lines tomorrow, gentlemen? I don’t want to over-stay my welcome.

9. 11 Users gave Like to post:

Aux1010 (February 25th, 2017), bazzabear (February 23rd, 2017), Brad the Impala (February 23rd, 2017), christianpfc (February 24th, 2017), colmx (February 23rd, 2017), Doug (February 23rd, 2017), fountainhall (February 23rd, 2017), Moses (February 23rd, 2017), Surfcrest (February 28th, 2017), TaoR (February 23rd, 2017), werner (February 26th, 2017)

Liked

LOVE is a great thing isn't it! It can get you to do things you never once imagined yourself doing.....crawl in some strange places just because of a flicker of love!

Liked

Indeed Colmx, it was the Pattaya Beer Garden. It was buzzing with life. Great to see a venue doing so well. Many thanks.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Thanks again, poshglasgow. Another beautifully written post.

So many of us wind up fixating on a particular boy. If we are lucky, he eventually disappears and we can get on with our lives. If we are unlucky, he remains available and we enter a phase of frustration, jealousy and disappointment in our lack of good sense. There is really no need to fixate. If an Art 1 leaves the scene, there will always be an Art 2, Art 3....

13. User who gave Like to post:

fountainhall (February 23rd, 2017)