Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: A future for Soi Pratuchai?

Liked

Re: A future for Soi Pratuchai?

Who is the present owner/manager of Dreamboys [in Bangkok]?

Some forum member have referred to the German owner doing this or that. Why can't he create a great go-go bar similar to that of Dreamboys Barbiery, which many people, including myself, remember fondly. Has he become too dependent on the Chinese tourists that come to gawk at the shows?

Does this owner/manager ever interact with customers? I am not sure that I have ever seen him there, although I have sometimes seen a short Caucasian behind the bar area. Have forum members ever talked much with him? [I could even taught with him in perfect German, albeit with a Swiss accent.]

In the past, the owners of several of the best gay venues interacted and socialized with customers, and sought their comments. Such was true of:
    (1) the elegant transgender who ran [owner?] Adam and Eve in Pattaya about 25 years ago. [Is that the name of the huge message place that sometimes had almost 100 handsome guys...] She would come around, introduce herself, chat, and even offered me free drinks....

(2) the owner of Matsuda Super Lex in Bangkok [He spoke limited English, but was always friendly and welcoming.]

(3) the owner of Coffee Boy in Chiangmai. [He went out of his way to make guests feel welcome. I once stayed there several days because he was so nice, even though the inn/bar was not conveniently located..]

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by werner View Post
    Some forum member have referred to the German owner doing this or that. Why can't he create a great go-go bar similar to that of Dreamboys Barbiery, which many people, including myself, remember fondly. Has he become too dependent on the Chinese tourists that come to gawk at the shows?
    Those of us that recall the "good old days" have to remember that times, Thai society, economics, tourism and so much else has changed. I'd love to see another Barbiery-type gogo bar. But it just won't happen. It was a venue of its time and for its time. That time is over.

3. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Tintin (March 6th, 2017), werner (March 9th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I recall when Barbiery occupied several floors of a building near Golden Cock. There was even a lift to the third floor entertainment area. Extremely busy, crowded. To this day I remember stepping outside the bar area into the landing to get the lift, and came across two cute young boys totally naked as they applied body paint on each other. If only I could travel back to those days, and stay there, never aging. My only hope now is for a fun filled re-incarnation. There will be changes to the gay scene in Thailand. Inescapable. They've already started. And probably not much to the liking of the 60+ group.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

The building was opposite Nature Boys and about 20 meters down the soi from Golden Cock. I can't have gone there until a year or so after the move because I don't recall it ever being crowded. Maybe that's because we never visited on a Friday or Saturday, but on Sundays it felt too big and empty. Sadly I also felt the ambience of the old premises was totally missing. The stage being at one end rather than in the centre certainly didn't help because those sitting at the bar end were quite far away. I also had the impression the average age of the boys by that stage had risen quite a bit.

I suppose the location must have seemed an obvious move given there were several other well-known bars around that area. But I don't think it lasted there more than three years there, if not less. By its last year it had completely lost all of its former glory. I seem to recall that Super Lek was just as big but its stage jutted out much more into the audience and there was more seating around the sides making it feel more intimate. But it too eventually died. I guess that many of the punters used to being in or very close to Soi Twilight probably couldn't be bothered with the short trek down to the new location. And it was lousy for short-term tourists who may not have had much clue how to get there. Besides there were by then more go-go bars in Twilight itself.

Had it stayed in its old location or moved into Soi Twilight, I wonder if it would have lasted longer? My hunch is that it would.

Liked

Does this owner/manager ever interact with customers? I am not sure that I have ever seen him there, although I have sometimes seen a short Caucasian behind the bar area. Have forum members ever talked much with him?
    When I walk past, I sometimes see a Caucasian (always the same) sitting outside IN FRONT of the venue. I haven't talked to him, I only know from the forums that he is German and the manager.

Quote Originally Posted by fountainhall View Post
    The building was opposite Nature Boys and about 20 meters down the soi from Golden Cock.
    A gogo bar "Night Boys" was there and closed around 2012, now it's a Chinese/Korean/Japanese (?) restaurant.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Old portly german sitting outside is the owner....his BF used to be a gogo but now only occasionally does strip shows starting off in a cop uniform....most incredible body. He alsoowns (part owns ?!) dj station on soi 2.

Banned
    Liked

Why can't he create a great go-go bar similar to that of Dreamboys Barbiery, which many people, including myself, remember fondly.
    Perhaps he's decided he doesn't have the time or the inclination or even - heaven forbid - he's made the assessment that such a business model is no longer viable
    Has he become too dependent on the Chinese tourists that come to gawk at the shows?
    That's a value judgement on your part. You'll recall the myth of the goose that laid the golden egg
    In the past, the owners of several of the best gay venues interacted and socialized with customers, and sought their comments
    Another value judgement. If the owner doesn't socialize and seek the comments from his customers his is not one of the best gay venues? Some of the best bar owners I've ever known didn't socialize with their customers, many of whom were either big-noting themselves ("I know the owner") or expecting free drinks. The character who spends a week or two in Thailand every year and is an instant expert on how bars should be run is a form of bar-room bore that owners of the best venues, gay or otherwise, sensibly avoid

9. User who gave Like to post:

werner (March 9th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I'm curious. Apart from Soi Twilight, I always understood that soi's real name is Duangthawee. But it's now named Pratuchai. Anyone know why?

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by fountainhall View Post
    I'm curious. Apart from Soi Twilight, I always understood that soi's real name is Duangthawee. But it's now named Pratuchai. Anyone know why?
    There's a Duangthawee Plaza in/near the soi that has, like Twilight lent the soi one of its names but its proper name is Pratuchai - as a careful study via Google on both those names will readily show

Liked

That explanation is fucking incomprehensible.

Just saying like.

13. User who gave Like to post:

frequent (March 8th, 2017)