Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: A future for Soi Pratuchai?

Liked

Re: A future for Soi Pratuchai?

Quote Originally Posted by bkkguy View Post
    the land title along the soi belongs to the CPB

bkkguy
    CPB = ?

(I want to ask - but I will not ask - how you know all this, how you know who owns these lots and streets. Did you hack the Thailand land registry?)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

CPB = Crown Property Bureau

When you live in Bangkok over a period of years, as with any city you pick up a vast local knowledge that few tourists would even think about checking on.

3. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (March 9th, 2017)

Liked

Interesting discussion.

I would like to thank forum members who responded to my comments with their insights...

Perhaps we oldies should just remember the good times, accept the changes, and retire peacefully in Europe. But even the gay scenes in Berlin and Amsterdam have changed dramatically....

5. User who gave Like to post:

TaoR (March 9th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by werner View Post
    Perhaps we oldies should just remember the good times, accept the changes, and retire peacefully in Europe
    I did think of that briefly about 3 years ago. I even went back to the UK for most of November - lousy time for weather but that was the idea. I ended up thinking that after 35 years in Asia I could perhaps think about moving back. But after a week back in Bangkok, I realised I couldn't! My soul would die!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by fountainhall View Post
    Although the thread is about Soi Twilight/Duangthawee/Pratuchai (looking back, for years it was called Duangthawee - only recently has it been changed to Pratuchai and I still don't know the reason!)
    Yes fountainhall. Who on earth refers to soi Duangthawee?
    It has been known forever as soi Twilight after the infamous bar on the left hand corner.
    Even though it is known as soi Twilight,that bar is long gone and is now Hotmale.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Patanawet View Post
    Yes fountainhall. Who on earth refers to soi Duangthawee?
    It has been known forever as soi Twilight after the infamous bar on the left hand corner.
    Even though it is known as soi Twilight,that bar is long gone and is now Hotmale.
    I am perfectly well aware of that as per my previous posts and dozens of visits to the old Twilight Bar (far more fun than its replacement IMO). But its official name was Duangthawee and now it is Pratuchai. Hence my question.

Liked

Searching in Thai, google gives more hits for ซอยประตูชัย (Soi Pratuchai) than for ดวงทวีพลาซ่า (Duangthawee Plaza). Checking the entrance gate on google maps street view Sep 2011, there is written ดวงทวีพลาซ่า (Duangthawee Plaza) among advertising for the bars. The Soi is not on google maps, nor in any map of Bangkok I have. There is no road sign at either entrance.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post
    The Soi is not on google maps, nor in any map of Bangkok I have. There is no road sign at either entrance.
    This certainly is strange. Then it must be indeed a private road. But still, a map should map every street that is publicly accessible. How weird map makers just ignore it after so many years. I wonder what the reason is.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by fountainhall
    But its official name was Duangthawee and now it is Pratuchai. Hence my question.
    You are confused Khun fountainhall and your repeated displays of confusion are confusing others.

The name of the Soi is Pratuchai and it is not new. Duangthawee (as BKKguy has noted above) is the name given to the buildings and the paved area between them that line the Soi. Duangthawee Plaza.

Just google the address of Dream Boys or Dicks Cafe and you will find that they are consistently listed as:

38/3-6 Duangthawee Plaza, Soi Pratuchai, Suriwongse Road, Bangrak
    and
    894/7-8 Duangthawee Plaza, Soi Pratuchai, Suriwongse Road, Bangrak
    respectively.

Of course, there are incorrect variations on the www posted by similarly confused individuals.

But now I will add a confusion of my own. Christianpfc will be interested in this: Open up Hornet and zoom into the location of Dream Boys and Dicks and you will see the small street labeled as Soi Decho!

That is not to be confused with Decho Road which runs between Suriwongse and Silom, much further west (west of Pullman G Hotel) of course.....

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Thanks MiniMee. But many guides some years ago only mentioned the Duangthawee part and never Pratuchai. Here are a Lonely Planet and a Bangkok Gay Guide entries from the early 2000s -

Duangthawee Plaza
    Red-light district in Riverside, Silom & Lumphini
    This strip of male-only go-go bars is the gay equivalent of nearby Th Patpong. Expect tacky sex shows by bored-looking men.
    More gay places atDuangthawee Plaza
    From Suriwong Road leads a small Soi (lane) to a lot more gay places like . . .
    This soi is marked by kind of a wooden entrance gaye opposite where Taniya Road ends.
    More resent listings certainly include Pratuchai. So I will now consign Duangthawee to posting history!