What’s in a name, eh?

Before I started reading or posting on this forum, I had never heard or seen the soi referred to as Soi Twilight. It is difficult for me to imagine now, but many years ago when I used to travel up to Bangkok from Hua Hin, to spend a few nights going to the go-go bars, I always seemed to have trouble locating the soi. I therefore asked some of the vendors at, or near, the entrance to the soi to let me know its name. I was told it is called, soi bprà-dtuu chai. I was then able to quote it when getting a taxi directly to the soi, or if I had found myself lost and unable to locate the bars, I could ask someone for help.

So, when I began posting trip reports, go-go bar or massage parlour reviews relating to ‘Soi Twilight’, I have more often than not referred to this soi as the following: "soi bprà-dtuu chai (AKA Soi Twilight)" or shortened to, "‘Soi Twilight’" depending on the context of my report and to indicate this was not its correct name, mainly for the benefit of new readers who had yet to visit the soi.

I even kept a few business cards from some of the bars and massage joints and they refer to it as follows:

Future Boys
soi pratoochai surawong Rd

X Size Club
Soi Pratuchai Surawong Rd

Bonny Massage
Soi Pratuchai (Boytown), Surawong Rd

S go go boys
Soi Pratuchai Surawong Rd.,

The Boys Bangkok
Duangthawee Plaza Bang Rak Bangkok

Dick’s Café Bangkok
Duangthawee Plaza, Soi Pratoochai