Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: cooking class

Liked

cooking class

while im in BKK, i will have my cambodian bf with me. He is a chef in Seam Reap in a 5 star hotel. he loves cooking ,so i thought it would be nice for him if i could send him on a thai cooking class to learn new things.
    Has anyone been on any cooking classes or could recomend one.

thanks
    paperboy

Liked

Re: cooking class

Quote Originally Posted by paperboy View Post
    while im in BKK, i will have my cambodian bf with me. He is a chef in Seam Reap in a 5 star hotel. he loves cooking ,so i thought it would be nice for him if i could send him on a thai cooking class to learn new things.
    Has anyone been on any cooking classes or could recomend one.

thanks
    paperboy
    90% or even maybe 99% or existed advertised courses are "Thai food for dummies", "Carving fruits for dummies" and so on... I doubt if chef from 5** hotel wil find something original there...
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

3. User who gave Like to post:

werner (February 17th, 2017)

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

The Dusit hotel at Rama 4 and Silom has a cooking school.

5. User who gave Like to post:

paperboy (February 15th, 2017)

Liked

I tend to agree with Moses. These courses are designed for tourists, not really for professionals. I think you would do much better to find out how much one would cost. Then use the money to buy him (or let him choose) a really good Thai cookbook and the rest of the money to buy different ingredients to practice with. I think Thai food is stupendous. But in terms of cooking skills it's mostly a case of getting the balance of ingredients right.

Liked

Your best bet is to finda snall restaurant that has excellent food, and ask the chef / owner if he's open to the idea of private cooking lessons for generous pay.

Most "cooking schools" here wiull teach you how to make krawpow moo sap, tom yam, and other basic dishes.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

The Thai cooking classes at The Blue Elephant restaurant on Sathorn by Surasak Skytrain station are excellent. They have an excellent international reputation and The Blue Elephant is one of the country's top restaurants.
    Last edited by fountainhall; February 14th, 2017 at 21:16.

9. User who gave Like to post:

paperboy (February 15th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Your best bet is to finda snall restaurant that has excellent food, and ask the chef / owner if he's open to the idea of private cooking lessons for generous pay
    Just hope that there's no immigration police walking past whilst said lessons are going on as I can imagine just how expensive those lessons might end up as you try to convince them that "No, HONESTLY officer he doesn't work here, he's only here in the back of the restaurant learning to cook better from the chef here", I can see said tourist visa getting whipped away in a heartbeat with claims of NOOOOOO he's WORKING here - unless a large amount of Baht was the only thing being served up cold and quickly perhaps !

11. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (February 15th, 2017)

Liked

Where in Thailand do you guys stay that there's immigration police officers trawling around the restaurant kitchens?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Firstly I was of course being slightly tongue in cheek there but actually I'm guessing that must be the same kitchens that might belong to the bar premises that they also find themselves in when they're busting their farang victims in "out of nowhere".

You know the same places that the faranfs are in just sitting there minding their own business ( quite literally) and happen to maybe move a bottle from one side of the bar to the other and then BOOM "ahhh ok we caught you working" as of course they didn't just happen to be passing that bar or kitchen either but more likely there was some disgruntled / jealous member of staff called them as they weren't getting their cut of the bar takings / kitchen cookery lessons fees ...... so, yeah, maybe that kitchen perhaps.

So, no, whilst I wouldn't "seriously" expect that to happen ..... but as I'd said if they DID walk in, even on other normal business ( as I beltrve they DO check premises for illegal workers etc), then yeah my point was good luck trying to get them to believe that it WAS JUST a simple one to one daily cookery class taking place as they're standing there observing a Cambodian guy who's "obviously"'at a trained chef, standing behind the pots and grills in a silom ? restaurant, who's there on a holiday visa and with no work permit ..... that was my point just.

But do I expect that to happen, no, probably not ......but it "could".....

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by fountainhall View Post
    The Thai cooking classes at The Blue Elephant restaurant on Sathorn by Surasak Skytrain station are excellent. They have an excellent international reputation and The Blue Elephant is one of the country's top restaurants.
    I second the motion. I have friends who have attended BE classes and they all are very enthusiastic.
    [i][color=#0000FF]"One day our descendants will think it incredible that we paid so much attention to things like the amount of melanin in our skin, or the shape of our eyes, or our gender, instead of the unique identities of each of us as complex human beings."
    ~ Franklin Thomas[/color][/i]

15. User who gave Like to post:

paperboy (February 16th, 2017)