Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: The danger of Mosquitoes and cellulitis

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Liked

The danger of Mosquitoes and cellulitis

Coming to Thailand for the first time? First time in the tropics? Let me share an incident that seriously threatened the health of my right foot and how I never travel to Thailand now without a Boots the Chemist product called Jungle Formula and some antihistamine tablets.

About five years ago I was staying at the Café Royale in Pattayaland Soi 3, when, during the night or during the previous evening, I was bitten by something. I have never worked out whether it was a spider, mosquito or mamasan – all of them equally poisonous. There were two distinctive puncture wounds side by side on the top of the foot and another a little way up on the lower shin. I didn’t think much about it and the next day I set off for a quick drink at that bar directly opposite the Cattery (Penthouse) in Soi 2, where there is always a small group of the barely breathing (all with well lived-in faces) sitting at the little bar by the pavement, slagging off those of us who frequent Boyztown. Have you ever sat there and listened to that group (who resemble a troupe of actors promoting Last of the Summer Wine)? Why? Why do I frequent those places, which I do once or twice on each trip to Thailand? Another is the Sin Bin Irish bar in Soi 1. Why do I go there? Why the bloody hell do I go there and drink two or three beers before dinner when quite clearly it’s a hetero bar where one would be well advised not to disclose one’s sexuality!
    “You’re staying where?”
    “Café Royale.”
    “But that’s a hotel for fuc……..”

I think I make these occasional expeditions into the dire ‘straights’ just to take a breather from the gay scene with its screechy ladyboys and greedy mamasans. I wonder if any of you ever do the same. Do you ever feel that you just want to sit quietly in a bar that is not specifically gay and relax over maybe one or two drinks before returning to the chase?
    I sat and listened to the tripe from those propping up that bar in Soi 2 and found myself shaking my head in despair at the level of conversation, some of which was directed at the gay community around the corner. They have a new name perhaps it’s not a new name, but I have never heard it before) for gays: “Poodle walkers!!” How many of us have bloody poodles? I have never seen a poodle anywhere near Boyztown! Imagine the looks and comments as you march confidently into the Ambiance with a huge French poodle on a leash!! The Soi 2 bar? Awful and the menu is farcical; littered with nuances and bylines such as: Big Breakfast - if the cook can be bothered to cook it! I have promised myself never, never to return to that place. Why the hell didn’t I cross the road to chat to Dudley – a gentleman, and very welcoming where gay clientele are concerned, although the Cattery is awash with frighteningly muscular heteros!

Returning to the bites on the foot. In scratching (never scratch mosquito bites) I must have allowed bacteria to enter the tiny wounds and within days my foot was twice the size; it was a deep red and my leg from the knee down seemed to have filled with liquid like a pair of incontinence longjohns! The skin was red hot, angry, fiery and very, very tight. I couldn’t get my right foot into my shoe so shuffled around the bars in carpet slippers! Cellulitis had set in. Christ, it was dreadful. Never, never delay getting that condition sorted. A kind soul sent me directly to a wonderful doctor in Jomtien, Doctor Mongkol. Superb. An injection straight into the left buttock followed by an oral dose (“Ever had an oral dose before, Sir?”) of flucloxacillin antibiotic. After a few days there was a noticeable improvement and the foot returned to normal after a fortnight.

Now, when I am in Thailand,before going out in the evening, I spray Jungle Fever (Deet) around the top of my shoes and a little on the top of my baseball cap, and at the first sign of a bite I cut my nails (think about it) and take an antihistamine tablet. Seems thus far to have reduced complications.

2. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (March 1st, 2017), fountainhall (March 1st, 2017)