Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lobster

Liked

Re: Lobster

a447 has a propensity for guinea pigging highly revered members such as myself while skulking in the bushes himself.
    True. But I just think, better your money than mine!

BTW, I wonder if the lobster sold in Walking Street is local, or is it imported? A waitress once told me it was caught out in the bay, right near the restaurant. I used to eat it in Japan quite often, only to find it came from Vietnam.

IMHO the best 'underwater insect " (puleeze!) is to be found in Western Australia, where they are called 'crayfish." Unfortunately, only a few smaller ones are available to us locals, as all the big ones are exported to China.

Liked

a447 wrote:
    BTW, I wonder if the lobster sold in WalkingStreet is local, or is it imported?

Should I proceed I shall most certainly demand a full biography of said lobster. 😅

3. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (January 27th, 2017)

Liked

All the so called "king lobsters" sold in Walking street are really crayfish, and are usually deep frozen. There was a scandal recently and the restaurateur was quoted saying "only the body is fit to eat, not the head".

Lobsters come from Europe or North America.
    The lobster from Maine is relatively bland, the ones from Norway are much better, and the best come from Brittany or Cornwall.

5. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (January 27th, 2017)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Lobsters are just giant insects that live under water.
    Crikey, François! You’re not helping me get over my phobia about eating lobster.

Giant underwater insects you say. Good lord, pass the sick bucket . . . huuuurggehh!

Liked

Jellybean, I lived for many years surrounded by the wretched, fierce creatures. As I hesitated over my first vat of boiling water, my mentor quietly said, "He'd eat you if he could." That established the bottom line for me: kill or be killed.

In more civilized regions, it is possible to order the beast already torn apart by kitchen help and served up as a harmless pile of meat. A soupçon of melted butter doesn't hurt at all. Even better if you can arrange for a virginal lad to drop bits of the delicacy into your mouth as you consider schemes to unburden him of his condition.

8. 3 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (January 27th, 2017), francois (January 27th, 2017), Jellybean (January 28th, 2017)

Liked

I don't remember eating lobster. I had an invitation by the former owner of this board, but we missed twice and after that events took different courses. In hindsight, it might have been beneficial for met not to get to know him closer (see comments by others on the subject; although I can't say anything bad about him from personal encounters, other than that he didn't offer me a piece of cake when he had two and I had none).

I remember seeing plenty of big crustaceans (I can't distinguish them better) on restaurants in walking street, where I would expect mediocre food at food at premium prices (and see points raised by others about origin and freshness).

On a recent trip to Phuket, I saw lobster in a foodcourt (!!!): http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/201...29nov2016.html

On the subject of seafood freshness and prices, in a restaurant on the shore in Prachuap Khiri Kan town I had 10 oysters (local, smaller than European) for 100 Baht. Yes, ten oysters for one hundred Baht! 100 km north, in Hua Hin, the same oysters on the same seashore would probably cost tenfold.

On the subject of how to eat crustaceans, I have given up on crab. The few times I had meals with crab, the taste did not justify the price and the effort to get the meat out of the shell.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post
    On the subject of how to eat crustaceans, I have given up on crab. The few times I had meals with crab, the taste did not justify the price and the effort to get the meat out of the shell.
    I was once told the story of eating crab: You work and work and work to get to the meat in a crab. You work until you're tired of it then you go to McDonald's and get a hamburger.

11. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (January 28th, 2017)

Liked

Lobster.jpg

Here's an idea, for a limited time only....

And by the way....Lobster comes from the sea, not from a country. There is no such thing as Canadian Lobster, it's actually Atlantic Lobster (2 Claws) vs Caribbean (tail).

Surfcrest
    mclobster-is-back.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Surfcrest; January 28th, 2017 at 05:54.

Liked

You work and work and work to get to the meat in a crab
    That's half the fun! And you can buy little devices to help dig out the meat.

I often just buy crab meat in a jar; no mess, no hard work - but also, less fun. However, you get to eat it quicker!

Best eaten by itself, or you can stir it into pasta. Yum!!!!!

Crab is the most delicious food on the planet, bar none. Lobster comes in second IMHO.

So arsenal, forget the lobster. Go check out the crab instead. And don't forget to report back!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Nothing beats Singapore Chili Crab. It's only mildly spicy but utterly delicious. I frankly can't imagine eating crabmeat on its own!

SIngapore_Chili_Crab.jpg