Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Balloon Chasers

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Balloon Chasers

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    And if you think that a largish group of retired expats all love each other to bits then a quick refresher in human nature is very much in order. Besides which their use is not original as it was a football chant in the 80s. Perhaps you're a member?
    By 'largish' are you referring to their numbers or body size? I've never had it but I heard that meatloaf is very fattening.

I never knew about this balloon chasing thing but I guess you'd have to be in a small community for people to notice it. I understand that the chasers are drawn to the free food but even if they go as a one-off, would they still be paying for drinks or expected to buy a product on offer?

Although it's kinda tacky I suppose the chaser is really not doing anything wrong as the food and event have been budgeted for to promote whatever. I don't see any real harm unless one can show that balloon chasers are bad for business by precluding genuine customers.

Liked

Sglad wrote:
    "By 'largish' are you referring to their numbers or body size? I've never had it but I heard that meatloaf is very fattening."

Well I meant numbers. And a well made meat loaf shouldn't be particularly fattening. Lean meat (beef or pork) an egg or two and a handful of breadcrumbs with some onion and flavourings. Garlic, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, ketchup, mustard etc. Make a lovely mushroom sauce to go with it and of course some smooth and creamy mashed potatoes. Now I want some.

And.
    "I never knew about this balloon chasing thing but I guess you'd have to be in a small community for people to notice it. I understand that the chasers are drawn to the free food but even if they go as a one-off, would they still be paying for drinks or expected to buy a product on offer?
    Although it's kinda tacky I suppose the chaser is really not doing anything wrong as the food and event have been budgeted for to promote whatever. I don't see any real harm unless one can show that balloon chasers are bad for business by precluding genuine customers."

Then we agree pretty much. Doing nothing wrong but yes. kinda tacky. Especially when you consider how little a really nice meal can be had for in Pattaya.

3. User who gave Like to post:

fountainhall (January 8th, 2017)

Liked

On my last visit I noticed Oscar's had free food on one day a week say from 4pm - 6pm - I think it was a "Sausage Sizzle" or something similar.

I was in the habit of going there mid-afternoon as it was the only place open and I'd have to say that on non-free food days the average clientele could be counted on 2 or 3 fingers.

However, on Sausage Sizzle day all kinds of people came out the woodwork and the bar was busy - at least till they'd eked out a single drink, had their sausage and then they drifted off.

I have to say I waited so long for my sausage to be sizzled I'd drank about 8 beers and went back to hotel instead to ready myself for the evening session.

Now I imagine it must bring in money overall, or the owner wouldn't do it - but if it was me I'd be muttering "miserable bastards" under my breath

5. 2 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (January 9th, 2017), christianpfc (January 9th, 2017)

Liked

Talking about Oscar's sausage and reading Francois' contribution - it reminded me that in the days when old Terry had it as "My Life" bar, he had a bunch of farangs used to rock up on a certain afternoon to drink non-alcoholic beverages and exchange small talk and general gossip.

He referred to them as "The Tea Set"

Liked

Scottish wrote:
    "I have to say I waited so long for my sausage to be sizzled."

Well that's only to be expected at your time of life. Haha.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    Hi francois, I was a good friend of L.M.T.U. and can say he hated no one, he found many people amusing, some more than others.
    . Many people did not find him amusing. RIP LMTU.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    Francois wrote:
    "Why do you say that Arsenal? The term Barmy Army was used by LMTU (let me tell you) to disparage those who he hated. The same as others here are now using that term.

Is there something wrong with a group of guys wanting to gather for an informal meal once a week to socialize and converse? The meatloaf dinner is inexpensive, the drinks are inexpensive and the boys are cute, what more is there to ask for? No one hates anyone, the only hatred seems to be coming from without. "

You're quite wrong on all accounts here Francois and I speak as someone with a Sunee history going back over 12 years. The Barmy Army is a term they themselves use and in itself is not at all disparaging. And if you think that a largish group of retired expats all love each other to bits then a quick refresher in human nature is very much in order. Besides which their use is not original as it was a football chant in the 80s. Perhaps you're a member?
    I have been visiting Pattaya for past 17 years and know what I am speaking of.
    LMTU was the one who first applied the Barmy Army term to disparage those he saw as his inferiors. Or, more likely, because he was not part of their social circle. Just his way of putting down others. Yes, I was a member of that social group and still am friends with those who now live and visit in Pattaya. About the only thing they hate is cigarette smoke, not each other.

Liked

Francois wrote:
    " About the only thing they hate is cigarette smoke, not each other."

OK. Changing the subject I personally hate people who go and live in a country where smoking is allowed in many places and then complain about it. Let me guess. They sit in an outside bar and mumble unhappily if anyone lights up. Worse than balloon chasers in my view. Europe and America. That's the place to be to avoid cigarette smoke. But then you can't get a boy so cheaply can you?

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    LMTU was the one who first applied the Barmy Army term to disparage those he saw as his inferiors. Or, more likely, because he was not part of their social circle.
    Trust me, it was the latter!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Since the thread has morphed a bit, I'll continue on the subject of LMTU. After his death, which appears to have been particularly sad as I read he ran out of money and could not afford treatment for his cancer, there was a considerable number of posts about him and his contributions. Many of those who knew him seemed to have been particularly fond of him. I didn't know him at all. Like some posters I could only judge him by his posts which were usually written in some mangled form of English. I may be wrong but I picked up from a couple of posts that he had actually taught English. If true, then his posting style was not merely idiosyncratic, it was kind of more than childish IMO. There were so many posts about his ridiculous writing "style" that GB had many times to put an end to discussions unless such criticism was stopped. He even threatened this in a post in July 2010 -

Now, after all these years, you've demonstrated a capability of writing correctly (well, almost) and coherently, I will feel perfectly free to delete any future posts you submit in which you don't write this way
    He also had an annoying habit of supposedly leaking various secrets which turned out not to be true. The prime example was the construction of Ocean 1 in Jomtien which he continuously assured everyone from his inside knowledge was definitely going ahead even when it was perfectly obvious it wasn't. I certainly hope that no one acted on that "tip" by actually buying an apartment for Ocean 1 never got as far even as a hole in the ground. I recall he also took Air Hanuman to task for falsely advertising a cheap fare. This was plain wrong as the fare for that sector had never been advertised at the price quoted by LMTU. Another of his problems was he stated he never gave out incorrect information and would never acknowledge that he was wrong no matter that he had been proved wrong. In that respect he was very much a Trump-like figure on the boards.

Away from the boards he seems to have been a man who was kind to a lot of the bar boys and generous in his charitable donations. I recall reading one post with a clipping from one of the Pattaya newspapers commending him about his charitable giving. In that sense he seems to have been very much a chameleon-like character.