Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dodgers Trip Report

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Dodgers Trip Report

Well, here I go again.

I guess this is Trip Report # 36, as I’ve been writing one after every bi-annual trip for the past 18 years now. Boy…does time fly when you’re having fun.

I’ve enjoyed being with the same Thai partner for the past 3 years now who I’ve talked about in previous trip reports. He is a fashion designer… independent-thinking…self-motivated …extremely shy… home body type…who doesn’t drink or cater to the nightlife. I adore him. He spends much of the day painting women’s couture dress designs using water colors on canvass which he in-turn uses to create designer dresses when he returns to his home/business in Buriram when my holidays end.

I visited the bar scene in Sunee a total of 6 times during my 3 month holiday which is a far cry from my wild bar running days in the past, but waking up without a hangover and actually having money left in my wallet in the mornings has gotten addictive. Having said that, there isn’t anything I could tell you about the bar scene that you guys don’t already know. I’m constantly amazed at the resilience that the bars have and wonder how they could possibly keep their signs up with so few customers. The only time I witnessed any sizeable farang gatherings in the Plaza seemed to be when one of the bars was offering free food. The balloon chasers appeared to be in heaven.

In final preparation for my retirement in a year or two I was able to complete the renovation and furnishing of a studio condo I purchased in Bang Saray 2-1/2 years back. No sooner than the work was complete and my partner and I began staying there for long spells (versus Pattaya) the owner of the unit directly next to mine made me an offer I couldn’t refuse. So I purchased his studio which now provides me twice as much space (about 80 M2). I will renovate the new unit in April when I return and install French doors to connect the two units. Having a separate bedroom after residing in a one room studio in Pattaya for the past 6 years will be great, and my partner loves the fact that we now have enough room for a dining table and chairs. I have already arranged the workers and plan to have the renovation complete before the Songkran period starts and the Thai whiskey starts flowing.

My partner and I enjoyed celebrating Loy Krathong in Bang Saray, and, for the first time, saw many gay boys (and ladyboys) strolling along the promenade. Admittedly, I have always felt a bit awkward being the only farang walking around town with a Thai boyfriend, and seeing other gays for the first time gave me, and I’m sure my partner, a great sense of relief. Most of the farang population in Bang Saray seem to be 65 y/o guys with 25 y/o Thai girls (or wives) who never give my partner or I a second look, and of course the Thais could care less, but it’s sure nice to see that that are other gays residing there.

I was delighted to learn about the new ferry line service between Pattaya and Hua Hin and plan to take a ride sometime during my next holiday to see if I can find my old cyber friend Smiles lurking around the shores. I know that the Thais pay as much attention to safety standards on their boats as they do their buses and will make sure that there are enough life vests before walking up the gangplank.

Trump became president during my stay which accounts for at least one night that I went out to the bars to get drunk. For some reason just knowing that I will be retired and residing in Thailand versus the U.S. during his term gives me a sense of relief. Of course he could get impeached before I retire which would dampen the enthusiasm.

I can’t recommend any new restaurants in Pattaya, but if any of you guys visit Bang Saray there are 3 great places worth visiting. 1) The Beach Restaurant (last open-air restaurant on the promenade) which has the best Indian curry dishes I’ve ever eaten and my partner says the grilled sea bass is the best he’s had in Bang Saray. 2) Kua Yai Ging for Thai food lovers. My partner and I rarely agree on the quality of Thai food but both give this place a thumbs up. 60 baht will get you one of the best Thai meals you’ve ever eaten, but it’s all Thai spicy – no watered down farang stuff (just a stone’s throw past the boat docks on the right side of the soi). 3) Jasmine Norwegian Restaurant (make a left turn at the circle when you first enter town and go 50 yards down on your right). Honestly the best farang meals I’ve had in Thailand. Reasonable prices and you can’t finish what they put in front of you. Their smoked salmon melts in your mouth.

All in all a another great holiday...can't wait to get back...miss him too much...and the weather here is Chicago sucks.

Cheers

2. 8 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (January 8th, 2017), BenCH (January 8th, 2017), christianpfc (January 8th, 2017), llz (January 9th, 2017), sglad (January 8th, 2017), steveky (January 11th, 2017), Surfcrest (January 8th, 2017), Tintin (January 8th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Dodgers Trip Report

Thanks for the interesting trip report. I've never been to Pattaya - my Thai friends are always telling me not to bother but I would like to check it out for myself. Where can we find your other 35 reports?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

P.S. What are balloon chasers?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by sglad View Post
    " ... Where can we find your other 35 reports? ... "
    20 pages of Dodger posts on this board.
    Just click on the name 'Dodger' and a drop box will show up. Click on 'View Forum Posts'.

And 47 pages of Dodger posts on Gaybutton board.
    http://gaybuttonthai.com/search.php?...&author_id=107

Knock yourself out.
    Last edited by Smiles; January 8th, 2017 at 12:56.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

6. User who gave Like to post:

sglad (January 8th, 2017)

Liked

Thanks for the interesting trip report. I've never been to Pattaya - my Thai friends are always telling me not to bother but I would like to check it out for myself. Where can we find your other 35 reports?
    Your friends are wrong.

8. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (January 8th, 2017)

Liked

P.S. What are balloon chasers?
    Often when a beer bar or other establishment is throwing a party they festoon their bar with multicolored balloons which usually signifies free food and loud music.
    A balloon chaser would be a person that looks for these balloons and the free food.

I never experienced any of my friends chasing balloons, if nothing else they avoid such places since the music is too loud. Also the food is nothing special.

10. 2 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (January 8th, 2017), sglad (January 8th, 2017)

Liked

DODGER WRITES: Trump became president during my stay which accounts for at least one night that I went out to the bars to get drunk. For some reason just knowing that I will be retired and residing in Thailand versus the U.S. during his term gives me a sense of relief. Of course he could get impeached before I retire which would dampen the enthusiasm.

WELL DODGER. too bad your liberal Hillary LOST...I am glad she did...give trump a chance....I for one. like him,,time will tell.

Liked

SGlad: Apart from the obvious attractions that Pattaya offers to the middle aged (me) the old (Scottish) the ancient (Fountainhall) and the incontinent almost deceased (frequent) there is loads of other stuff to enjoy. As Dodger ha said, a meal or six down in Bang Saray is worth the trip alone. Francois is right. Your friends are wrong.

13. 3 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (January 8th, 2017), francois (January 8th, 2017), llz (January 9th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

As one who is not so ancient (we'll draw lots for the duel weapons later, arsenal) I side more with sglad's friends, Chiang Mai and the surrounding area has so much to offer a student, including good and very good restaurants. Given that there are likely to be classes each day, I can't believe the time and cost involved in a trip to Pattaya is actually worth it - especially just for one meal, however good, unless you are a true gourmet! The nightlife scene is interesting and far more varied than Chiang Mai's, but not all that different from Bangkok apart from there being far more money boys on the apps. I'd soak up as much of the atmosphere in Chiang Mai and leave Pattaya for another visit.

15. 2 Users gave Like to post:

sglad (January 8th, 2017), Tintin (January 8th, 2017)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal
    Francois is right. Your friends are wrong.
    In my opinion, your friends are right and Francois and arsenal are wrong. Don't bother with Pattaya. Visit Bangkok, Chaing Mai and Phuket for more fun.

17. User who gave Like to post:

sglad (January 8th, 2017)