Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
We're really not comparing Pattaya with Singapore here.
I perfectly understand that. My point is very simple. You give lots of reasons for visiting Pattaya. With respect you view these from your western perspective and from someone of your age (younger then me, I'm certain!) - as indeed do I, although I come to different conclusions. If you look at them from the perspective of a young Asian, like sglad and the young Taiwanese guys of roughly similar age I hosted last weekend, however, those attractions are really not much of an attraction - the more so if you have similar and often better attractions on your home turf! Why would you visit Pattaya for water sports, a superb cinema or partying when you can have all that and a helluvalot more back in Singapore?

Similarly with a coffee shop. I often see squirrels from my window here in Bangkok (although I have no idea how many species). As you can tell all over Asia, a student visiting a coffee shop is less likely to do so to watch squirrels and far more likely to chat with friends or to study!

And yes, gay sex may be illegal under the notorious Section 377A of the Singapore Penal Code. However, as any regular visitor knows perfectly well, Singapore is one of the cruisiest cities in Asia and there is a great deal of sex to be had there if you are looking for it. There are gay bars and saunas for those so inclined. Plus the Prime Minister is on record as saying that whilst the law will not be repealed, it will not be acted on.