Quick navigation:
List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Working visas in Thailand for the "elderly" -- Any information or advice?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Liked

Working visas in Thailand for the "elderly" -- Any information or advice?

This forum has had some interesting discussions about visa runs and retirement visas, including the new type of retirement visa.

What do the members of this forum know about working visas for the "elderly"? [By the way: I am almost 70. My nationality is Swiss.]

I went to the university in the U.S. and several Thai classmates suggested that I might want to do some part-time work in Thailand.

I do NOT think that I would want just to retire in Thailand; I think that I would go out of mind with boredom after two or three weeks if I did not work. I am in great health, although about 20 kilos overweight. [I am working on this.]

About my background: I have graduate degrees in civil engineering from a major American university, and have been involved in the design and construction of major infrastructure projects in several countries, including those sponsored by the World Bank and aid agencies. I have also taught courses in civil engineering at universities in Europe and the U.S.

My Thai friends suggested that I could teach some seminars/course at several universities in Bangkok, as well as work as a consultant for some projects. [My Thai friends have good contacts at three universities in Bangkok, and the dean at one university was open to the idea.] This work would be very interesting to me.

But at almost 70, would I have any chance of getting a work visa? Many countries have stated age restrictions for work visas, but rules are often bent if one has the right contacts. [One Thai friend has good contacts with the government.}
    What do you know about work visas for the elderly?

Some countries, such as Canada, have terrible discrimination against anyone much over 55. Canada would not give me a work visa or residency status, despite the fact that I have advanced training and much experience in civil engineer, AND I have a native level command of BOTH French and English, plus a few other languages.....

2. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (January 6th, 2017)