Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: More True Visions Shenanigans - and the Viewer Suffers as Usual

Forum's veteran
    Liked

More True Visions Shenanigans - and the Viewer Suffers as Usual

A major uproar has erupted as a result of the decision by True Visions to cancel from tomorrow all its HBO and Cinemax channels. In the last few years HBO has been airing some of the best made-for-tv drama series including Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones and Westworld. What I have not seen mentioned anywhere is the dropping of the BBC Entertainment Channel which has also been showing some excellent drama series recently. Several new channels will be added, but their quality is yet to be determined. The viewers who will suffer most are those who pay for the higher priced Platinum and Gold packages.

Legally True Visions is required to give 30 days notice of such changes. In this case it did not and the issue was referred to the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission. Typical of the closeness of the relationship between the True organisation and government bodies, the Commission waived aside complaints and let True break the regulation. As its Chairman said in a Bangkok Post article -

Although the company did not comply with the rule, the board approved the request because the company claimed it could not reach agreements with the content providers

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1168833/truevisions-to-drop-hbo-cinemax

Bullshit! In other words, True Visions which charges more for its packages than any other similar broadcaster in Asia and provides an inferior service, has once again got away with increasing its profits at the expense of viewers. Let's recall that when True Visions took over UBC, it was an outfit forbidden to accept advertising. Its income had to come from subscriptions. Cronyism with the government saw that rule jettisoned soon after with a huge increase in True Visions profits. Having lost the rights to air the hugely popular English Premier League soccer matches 3 years ago, it tried to make their loss more palatable by adding more attractive channels. Now that it is again paying a fortune for the rights to air these matches, it is no doubt cutting costs on the entertainment front. Yet one wonders if the pittance it will save by dropping such popular channels will achieve much, as reports suggest a large number of subscribers are now so fed up they will cancel their high-end subscriptions.

In early October. a True Visions salesman called me to offer to up my package from Gold to Platinum for a year at just half the usual extra cost. I accepted. Today I cancelled. I believe the company was engaged in the legally dodgy business of deliberate misrepresentation. When that salesman called, True Visions will have known that its contracts with the channel providers were running out and they were not going to renew. Yet that salesman mentioned nothing about the inferior service it would be providing after January 1.

The complete ineffectiveness of regulatory bodies in this country strikes again.

2. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (January 3rd, 2017), Smiles (December 31st, 2016)

Liked

Re: More True Visions Shenanigans - and the Viewer Suffers as Usual

Bastards!!

I switched over from 'Bronze' (or was it 'Iron' or 'Plastic'? ... can't remember) just a year ago specifically for the large HBO suite of movies and documentaries, as well as a flurry of sports channels in Hi Def. I wonder if they are jettisoning BBC News, CNN, Bloomberg as well?
    If the very worst happens I will definitely join The Annoyables and ratchet down from Gold back to Plastic.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Anyone checked any of the new True Visions channels today? Waste of your time. Oh sure, there is content being shown, but absolutely no-one has a clue exactly what is being shown. The info which is supposed to be accessed giving up to a week's programme details of each channel has nothing on the six new channels apart from a note in Thai saying no programme information is available. I called True Visions this morning. I was told they are aware of the problem and have people are working on it.

Working on it? The company must have signed contracts with the content providers weeks ago - yet not one person in that large organisation gave any advance thought to providing viewers with programme details? A disgrace - as usual!

Liked

Move over to the modern world, and download your shows and mmovices off the internet. For example, you mentioned there were several weekly TV series you were going to miss. You do know there's about a 99.8% chance those shows are available for download off the internet free of charge in high quality with no commercials within an hour or two of airing in the US, right? Then just hookup your laptop to your big screen TV via HDMI, and watch at your convenience.

Only caveat to this is news and sports channels, but I'm sure you can find live streaming around for them.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Thanks Matt. Yes I am aware of that. But it will require a bit of rejigging of my desktop computer which is quite far from my 2 TV screens. In the meantime, a friend has suggested another TV service which offers all UK programming plus other channels at a fraction of the True Visions cost. He is getting me the details.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

fountainhall if you have a decent wifi signal google this MXQpro
    cheap and effective, it is an android T.V. box

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Many thanks MFAS. Will it work with a Mac desktop?

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by fountainhall View Post
    Many thanks MFAS. Will it work with a Mac desktop?
    It is meant to to be connected directly to your TV via its HDMI port, it sounds much more complicated then it is.