List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Does this piece describe you? Culture shock.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Does this piece describe you? Culture shock.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsaigon2 View Post
    Yes, "even you" know... everything (shades of Beachlover). Let me put it this way: if I were to return to America now, I would be very displeased with the way things are going.
    No, I don't know everything and wouldn't want to. Knowing everything would imply the death of curiosity and I wouldn't want that. What I meant is that America is a lot more diverse than what Hollywood America/the liberal media portray. Thanks to Hillary's elitist election strategies (among other things), the Russ Belters and the Bible Belters are now having their say through their faux conservative evangelical celebrity pastor, Donald Hallelujah Trump. And one doesn't have to go to the US to appreciate this. I say this because Chiang Mai is teeming with these types, most of them missionaries. Two Sundays ago I was invited to a barbecue by one of my friends who conveniently omitted to tell us that it was being organised by a youth wing of The Church of Christ in Thailand. Jesus Christ, it was like stepping into a set of a 1950s American movie! Women with big hair, guys in plaid and khakis, and they all talked slow and funny and used words like "amaaazing", "grreaaat" and "wowww". One guy who was flipping burgers (whom I later found out was a pastor of some sort) asked me if I was a Christian and I said "No, I'm Buddhist." And you know what he said to me? "You're still young son and it's not too late to come back." Now what the fuck did he mean by that? And some of these people have been in Thailand for decades, spoke perfect Thai and yet they still lived in their SUV bubbles. There goes the theory that living someplace for a long time, speaking the language, etc amount to true appreciation and understanding of the local culture. Myself and their Thai and Burmese minions were the only non-whites there! Did that pastor guy become like that only since 20 January 2017? No, he didn't so I don't get these incredulous "Oh this not my America", "This is not who we are" crap. Yes, it is exactly who a lot of you are and they're having their fifteen minutes of fame with Trump's election. And from what I could gather Trump is only a seat warmer for their real hero, Mike Spence, the true conservative who comes with a requisite fat wife and son who looks like he bashes gays for fun at the weekend.
    Last edited by sglad; February 5th, 2017 at 20:06.

2. User who gave Like to post:

francois (February 5th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by sglad View Post
    And some of these people have been in Thailand for decades, spoke perfect Thai and yet they still lived in their SUV bubbles. There goes the theory that living someplace for a long time, speaking the language, etc amount to true appreciation and understanding of the local culture
    And if that's the basis on which you base your conclusion, you have totally blown it. Note the language you use, sglad, and the references you as a alleged student make. It's all just blowing wind!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Yes, "alleged". I can't escape the feeling that Beachlover or one of his cohorts is lurking in the shadows.

5. User who gave Like to post:

francois (February 5th, 2017)

Liked

This discussion had many interesting replies. But why do so many of these discussions become personal attacks on other members??

7. User who gave Like to post:

sglad (February 6th, 2017)

Liked

The concept of bowing does not necessarily travel well internationally:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...-tribunal-told
    "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post
    The concept of bowing does not necessarily travel well internationally:
    Unlike kneeling and bending over.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Now that you are much more active, sglad, I note you have not responded to my earlier post.
    Originally Posted by sglad
    And some of these people have been in Thailand for decades, spoke perfect Thai and yet they still lived in their SUV bubbles. There goes the theory that living someplace for a long time, speaking the language, etc amount to true appreciation and understanding of the local culture
    Quote Originally Posted by fountainhall View Post
    And if that's the basis on which you base your conclusion, you have totally blown it. Note the language you use, sglad, and the references you as a alleged student make. It's all just blowing wind!

11. User who gave Like to post:

Surfcrest (February 6th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

What's wrong sglad? It's the weekend. You should have plenty of time to spare a little for your chosen chat room. What about a response to my eariier question ?

Originally Posted by fountainhall
    And if that's the basis on which you base your conclusion, you have totally blown it. Note the language you use, sglad, and the references you as a alleged student make. It's all just blowing wind