List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Does this piece describe you? Culture shock.

Liked

Re: Does this piece describe you? Culture shock.

Interesting article.

For me, there was a stage that I call self-doubt but have now overcome:

Is my Thai pronunciation that bad? No, the Thai person I'm speaking to is just perplexed that a foreigner is speaking to her/him and can't grasp the complexity of my question (e.g. "When does this bus leave to Mae Sot?" - first a blank stare, then "Yes!").

Did we agree to meet at 11 am or did we not? Solved by written communication (Line): yes we did, but the boy is late or no show.

2. 2 Users gave Like to post:

1moRussian (January 4th, 2017), fountainhall (December 30th, 2016)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

fountainhall...think we are talking about 2 different things. As an auditor (quality...not financial as some people automatically assume) Im often called in to mediate...western company requests a sample....chinese supply one meeting spec...contract is signed...1st 1/2 dozen deliveries meet spec...and when the customer drops its guard product that most definitely does not meet spec is shipped. Can be difficult to monitor without specialized lab technology when its a finished or semi-finished food product.
    in the west this is called cheating.
    What u r referring to is a faciliator or middle man who takes a cut...not dishonest at all...

4. User who gave Like to post:

fountainhall (December 31st, 2016)

Liked

Thanx Arsenal for the link, here is the second article on the subject:
    http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/09/0...ners-and-thais

But again, as Cdnmatt pointed, the core ideas are well known worldwide, although particular Thailand implementations are interesting. As a kind of future reading: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hofs...ensions_theory

Liked

After reading those culture comparisons by that Kasetsart Univ lecturer, I googled him expecting to find some tenured senior citizen. I was surprised to find a young Thai man with a recent German University degree. This makes me wonder if the author is recording the realty of Thailand today or cultural mantras that prevailed in the country's feudal past which have long since been eroded or even discarded.

If you take time to spend a few days observing contemporary Thai TV shows and soaps, you'll likely see the kind of social interaction that more closely matches the western, not Thai, patterns and values featured in these articles. This makes you wonder to what degree the Thai culture described in these comparisons is better history than an accurate reflection of the state of mind of contemporary Thai people.

I don't mean to suggest that there are not elements of this society whose mission is to preserve and protect the collective and passive elements of Thai history that have so enabled authoritarian rule. I just wonder how much of that society exists any more in a culture that gets its news and values from TV and the internet.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Pharang View Post
    I just wonder how much of that society exists any more in a culture that gets its news and values from TV and the internet.
    I would accept this statement with a little modification. " ... news and values from Thai TV and news papers and the desired censorship implied by a national 'single gateway' under government control".
    [i][color=#0000FF]"One day our descendants will think it incredible that we paid so much attention to things like the amount of melanin in our skin, or the shape of our eyes, or our gender, instead of the unique identities of each of us as complex human beings."
    ~ Franklin Thomas[/color][/i]

Liked

Interesting discussion.

I have lived and worked in about 8 countries. The worst culture shock I have experienced is often when I return "home" to Switzerland--and realize how much I have changed.

Moreover, I sometimes get annoyed when I meet Swiss nationals whose native language is [Swiss]German. There can be an awkward moment--should I speak in German or French? [French is my native language.] And, because I have spent much time in Berlin--should I try modify my German to sound more "Swiss"...

Sometimes "culture shock" involves your own country and your own country men/women.....

Just some random thoughts.....

9. User who gave Like to post:

bobsaigon2 (February 3rd, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I agree completely with Werner. Imagine the shock of a long time expat American who returns to the US and discovers that his country has been Trumped !

Liked

And the Trumping of the U.S. causes enormous culture shock and anger even for non-Americans like myself.

12. 2 Users gave Like to post:

bobsaigon2 (February 3rd, 2017), fountainhall (February 4th, 2017)

Liked

Agree woth wermer as well. Since 2005, I've lived in multiple countries, and only spent 1 year in Canada in 2008 in Vancouver. Even in 2008 it took a bit of getting used to, let alone what it would be like now, hence why I have no real ambition to move back any time soon.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bobsaigon2 View Post
    I agree completely with Werner. Imagine the shock of a long time expat American who returns to the US and discovers that his country has been Trumped !
    But surely American culture before or after Trump is not homogeneous and Trump's ideas and values are supported by and representative of a large number of Americans who voted for him? Even I know they're not all Anderson Coopers and there are plenty of Bill O'Reillys and Glen Becks over there.