List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does this piece describe you? Culture shock.

Liked

Does this piece describe you? Culture shock.

2. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (December 30th, 2016)

Liked

Re: Does this piece describe you? Culture shock.

A fascinating piece, not so far off the mark on most points. I judge people by how they drive and Thais drive as though they are in it for themselves. People here and in the States to the south of us drive the same way...we may let someone in on a rare occasion but in Thailand? Never! When you cross the border into Cambodia, the Zen is that It's your turn, then my turn and so on...as they do farther south down in Oregon. LOL

Seriously though, Thais are indeed different. It's been a few years now since I've been back, but my stays are usually (long for me), a couple of months and by the end I'm usually ready to get back home where I can give the old leash of patience, a bit of well needed slack. I don't find them overly self aware...but then that's just me.

Surfcrest
    Last edited by Surfcrest; February 4th, 2017 at 06:38.

Liked

Surfcrest wrote:
    "I judge people by how they drive and Thais drive as though they are in it for themselves. People here and in the Stare to the south of us drive the same way...we may let someone in on a rare occasion but in Thailand? Never!"

I really don't want this to develop into another motorbike thread and I've never driven a car in Thailand but this is simply not my experience on a motorbike. If it was I really wouldn't be advising the OAPs on this board to rent one.

Regarding the article and judging by what the ex-pats on this board write they seem to jump from one to the other depending on how things are going.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

I do not agree with most of these assumptions and they apply to expats only. Thailand is no different then anywhere else when it comes to being ripped-off there ar the good and the bad most large scams are perpitrated by falang against falang. If sex is your only reason for visiting you will encounter the lowest economic tier of Thai society and everything that goes with that. As for adjusting to the cultural challenges that is a gradual process and the real adjustment comes when you return for a visit to your former home country.
    Last edited by Manforallseasons; December 29th, 2016 at 11:48.

Liked

I don't agree that the article "could just as easily apply to any country." Thailand is not like most developed countries. Westerners in Thailand, whether tourists or expats,come from places that are far more open, democratic and egalitarian than Thailand, which is a rigid almost feudal society by comparison.

The idea that a westerner somehow "becomes bi-cultural" who can live "more happily here" by learning to accept the lack of freedom and mobility is a very cynical concept.It's like saying we should all become cannibals if the locals are still eating each other.

Liked

I agree, but in general for all countries, not just Thailand. This is basically a lightly version of the commonly used stages of culture shock, which I think were originally written by the AAP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_shock

But yeah, sounds about right to me.

8. User who gave Like to post:

1moRussian (January 4th, 2017)

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Pharang View Post
    The idea that a westerner somehow "becomes bi-cultural" who can live "more happily here" by learning to accept the lack of freedom and mobility is a very cynical concept.It's like saying we should all become cannibals if the locals are still eating each other.
    Not quite sure what you mean by lack of mobility as it relates to expats, as for freedom it is a tradeoff as the only real lack of freedom is a lack of political discussion as it relates to the current political climate and for a bystander thats not a problem.
    Last edited by Manforallseasons; December 29th, 2016 at 15:14.

Liked

Pharang wrote:
    "The idea that a westerner somehow "becomes bi-cultural" who can live "more happily here" by learning to accept the lack of freedom and mobility is a very cynical concept."

Freedom is itself an abstract concept. In the US you can criticise the government but should not walk alone at night in many many places. In other countries it's the other way round. In quite a few ways countries with less 'freedoms' are actually providing their citizens with a more free way to live their day to day lives. If I wanted to open a gay bar/club anywhere in China it would not be a problem but in some US towns and cities it would not be possible.

11. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (December 30th, 2016), Tintin (December 29th, 2016)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    ...the only real lack of freedom is a lack of political discussion as it relates to the current political climate and for a bystander thats not a problem.
    You sound like a Yankee sipping Bourbon while being fanned in the lobby of a Havana brothel in 1950.

13. User who gave Like to post:

Khor tose (December 30th, 2016)

Liked

Pharang wrote:
    "You sound like a Yankee sipping Bourbon while being fanned in the lobby of a Havana brothel in 1950.

That sounds fantastic and now that Old Beardys' dead it's a very real possibility. I want some too. Indeed I can see Cuba becoming the next big thing for retired ex-pats.