Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Member Of The Year

Liked

Re: Member Of The Year

chillnorther wrote:
    "This isn't exactly a forum-- it's a reality show-- and my nominee for the best one of 2016."

Don't say that. It'll only encourage the already x-rated A447 to add even more detail and spice to his lustful reports of slap and tickle while telling the folks back home he's visiting yet another wat. Haha.

PS As you're here if you wanted to add to the thread on Tarntawan Hotel that would be great because it will annoy Scottish Guy.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    FH - Where's the after party?
    Happy New Year Nirish! I don't organise the parties and it wasn't parties I expected - it was balls! And lots of them. The Oscars has the Governors' Ball, Elton's Ball (opps, I'd give that one a miss I think) and the Vanity Fair Ball. A 'do' in Sochi wasn't quite what I expected - although the vodka would go down well.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Well if it's lot of balls you want FH - it seems you've come to the right place as many threads by us all seem to cover that most days ! :-)

Liked

Crikey! This, Member of the Year malarkey, looks like a right old heavy burden to bear, if you ask me.

Yes, yes, no doubt some scally will say . . . but nobody asked you! Well, yes, that is in fact strictly correct, but I’m just saying like, if you get me?

But, from what I can see, dear old founty is already having to work hard fighting off a pretender to his new crown and he hasn’t even had time to warm up that big old throne of his!

Sorry, arsenal old sport, but I’m already beginning to wonder if having the title, privileges, swanky balls, baubles and bangles is all that is cracked up to be. What is it the bard was prone to say? Ah, yes, . . . uneasy lies the head that wears a crown.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Whaddayamean Jelly? I love titles. I still don't understand how Andy Murray got his K (Jeez, even crumbling tickle stick Ken Dodd got one) and I was left off the list for yet another year?? Not even a measly M, O or C for moi! Honestly, these idiots on the honours committee don't seem to understand the brown envelope system at all - and I stuffed quite a few this time around. Perhaps they thought that Baht is some kind of Monopoly money.

As for privileges, swanky balls, baubles and bangles - I love 'em. They all go well with the sparkly Liberace sneakers I picked up in Las Vegas a few years ago (note the candelabra)

Liberace_Sneakers.jpg

But you forget one really important thing. Dear old arsenal hasn't yet coughed up for a bloody crown! Not even a Chinese copy with fake Swarovski crystals! For all the functions I'll now be expected to attend, I'll have to go over to Soi Twilight and beg one of the drag queens to lend me hers. So be assured my head is in no way burdened.

Indeed, I think another literary allusion is more apt:

"If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs (a few of them around here) and blaming it on you (another few) . . .
    If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves (and we all know who they are) . . ."

LOL

6. User who gave Like to post:

Jellybean (January 2nd, 2017)

Liked

Fountainhall, if worse comes to worse and you can't pick up a crown in Soi Twilight, never fear. I have a black belt in origami and could whip you up something quick smart.

8. User who gave Like to post:

Jellybean (January 2nd, 2017)

Liked

Jellybean wrote:
    "What is it the bard was prone to say? Ah, yes, . . . uneasy lies the head that wears a crown."
    Exactly. My reasonable knowledge of history and current affairs leads me to believe that genuine sovereign but unelected power is about as miserable existence as can be devised by one man for himself.

Right: Some things need clarifying with regards to the title that is Fountainhalls for one year. Firstly kings wear crowns and kings are chosen by God (their words, not mine) not by a vote of four. Secondly the Member of the Year has the opportunity to do good deeds and lots of charity work thereby putting something back into the community. The last member to hold the title was Christian and he did loads of charity work by helping the needy boys of Soi Twilight with generous cash handouts delivered by hand after generous mutual handling. And thirdly as he was elected by a free, fair, one member one vote system that was un-hacked by Russians there is no chance of any pretender attempting a coup d'état which is bound to fail. However members may begin campaigning for next years vote as soon as they like.

10. User who gave Like to post:

steveky (January 4th, 2017)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by fountainhall View Post
    . . . I still don't understand how Andy Murray got his K (Jeez, even crumbling tickle stick Ken Dodd got one) and I was left off the list for yet another year?? Not even a measly M, O or C for moi! Honestly, these idiots on the honours committee don't seem to understand the brown envelope system at all - and I stuffed quite a few this time around. Perhaps they thought that Baht is some kind of Monopoly money . . .

But you forget one really important thing. Dear old arsenal hasn't yet coughed up for a bloody crown! Not even a Chinese copy with fake Swarovski crystals! For all the functions I'll now be expected to attend . . .
    Ahhh . . . that reminds me of the last time I was in gainful employment. Twice a year, during the lead up to the Queen’s Birthday Honours and the New Year Honours, as an Area Board, we were asked to consider submitting the names of any staff we considered worthy of an honour. Despite copious coughing on my part on each occasion, none of my fellow board members took the hint and thought to put forward my name. Of course, it was considered bad form to put forward one’s own name. All I recall was some wag saying to me, you should suck a Fisherman’s Friend [Jellybean].

Then one year, to my utter dismay, a friend and an officer of similar rank was awarded an OBE. We carried out roughly the same sort of work, had equal experience and the both of us also acted as facilitators for action learning groups, but I had been asked to act as the group leader the following year. The only difference was that he was a deeply religious man and did voluntary work for his local church. My Area Director was also deeply religious and often said that she would pray for me. What could she possibly mean by that I would frequently ask myself? Then one day she took me by surprise and asked, “What exactly is it you do during your nocturnal walks on Hampstead Heath* [Jellybean]?” Crikey! Who had spilled the beans? Or, as many of us suspected, did the spooks on the higher floors, of whom we were warned of formidable penalties under the Official Secrets Act, if we were ever to alight on those floors, actually tap our phones and had reported back on my evenings spent checking out badgers, bats and owls? No, surely not.

Crikey! I’ve rather lost my track, ah, yes, now I recall what I actually wanted to say.

What? No crown you say founty? Not even a tiara? Well, that’s outrageous! To be honest, I think it’s a poor show and I hate to say this, especially on the open forum, but I now have this image of our esteemed Trollfinder General sporting a pencil thin moustache, wearing a camel hair coat and a trilby. There, I’ve said it. Yes, I know, I have put my very membership at risk for saying so. But there you have it. I must speak as I find and damn the consequences.

*A notorious gay cruising ground in North London.
    Last edited by Jellybean; January 2nd, 2017 at 17:00.

12. 3 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (January 2nd, 2017), Smiles (January 3rd, 2017), steveky (January 4th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    Ahhh . . . that reminds me of the last time I was in gainful employment
    Maybe it would be advisable to remind members what gainful employment is. Some here seem to have left that part of their lives behind quite some years ago!

But very interesting, Jelly old son. No, not that you failed to wear your religion on your sleeve, for I can tell clearly from your posts that you kneel down everyday for a decent spot of respectful worship. No, it is that you and I have one thing in common -

we were warned of formidable penalties under the Official Secrets Act
    In my very first job after leaving University, I too had to sign the same Official Secrets Act signing away my rights to free speech and swearing to speak the Queen's English as she was spoke at all times on pain of all sorts of dreadful penalties. Funny thing is, I left that job after 18 months but was never provided with anything in writing to negate what I had signed away and could thereafter reclaim. Am I still forbidden to reveal all my secrets?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by fountainhall View Post
    . . . Am I still forbidden to reveal all my secrets?
    Indeed you are fountainhall, unless you plan on following in Edward Snowden’s footsteps and don’t mind living in Moscow.

It does however seem rather remiss of your then Personnel Division not to have reminded you in writing at, or shortly after, your departure.

When I was given enforced early retirement on health grounds, I was provided with a letter from our Human Resources Department (I preferred when they were called Personnel Division) in which they reminded me, amongst other things, of my life long duty of confidentiality to the Crown.

Now, we don’t want to hear of yet another suspicious fa-ràng ‘suicide’ caused by a fall from a high storey building in Bangkok. So, if I were you, I’d remember, loose lips sink ships and Mum’s the word and all that, if you get my meaning, nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

15. User who gave Like to post:

fountainhall (January 3rd, 2017)