Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are Gay Bars Going Extinct?

Liked

Re: Are Gay Bars Going Extinct?

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    It is possible that gay bars in the west are actually leaving the entertainment scene due to the reasons mentioned in the article. After all it would be unthinkable to have a bar for whites, blacks, Hispanics, etc etc so why should a bar that caters exclusively for gays and their fag hags be any different?
    I agree with the thrust of what you are saying.

All I would add however is that in the West (let's take the UK as an example)and in these days of [B ]so-called[/B] equality where it's suggested we don't need Gay Bars - just try going into your local sports bar or Wetherspoons and giving your boyfriend a quick kiss or full-on snog as you'll see any straight couple commonly do without an eyebrow being raised.

After you've done that, I suggest you phone for either police assistance or an ambulance right away, as I suspect the reaction will not be pretty.

Point being - gay people are only welcome in "straight" bars provided they modify their behaviour to that which the straight patrons find acceptable.

That's not equality, it's compliance - which is a very different thing indeed.

2. 3 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (December 23rd, 2016), francois (December 24th, 2016), GWMinUS (December 26th, 2016)

Liked

Oh Scottish. Wetherspoons? You go into Wetherspoons. You have no shame man, no shame at all. Is there absolutely nothing you won't do for a two for one offer and a cheap pint of bitter? I am just glad Robert the Bruce isn't alive to see this because if he was he'd turn in his grave.
    COFL.

Liked

"Oh dear" indeed:

Scottish licensing laws preclude "Two for One" offers and almost all other types of promotional offers such as happy hours etc. This applies to both on-sales and off-sales licensed premises - e.g even supermarkets cannot offer Two for One or discounts on multiple purchases.

As you're an expert on Scottish affairs I'd expect you to have known that

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bobsaigon2 View Post
    [SIZE=3]
    The point most relevant to gay bars in Thailand is that the customers are advancing in age and there are few younger men interested in taking their place.
    With few exceptions this is also true of this board.

6. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Khor tose (December 24th, 2016), lonelywombat (December 24th, 2016)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Is there a similar decline evident in gay saunas? and massage venues?
    As for BKK: YES also for that-though a little less. Closures are far more numerous as new openings. More common is palces slimming down for now. Very obvious that Burmese/Khmer are taken over the places there of former Thai farmerboys-which is often a bonus. As for that I read-Sunee in Pattaya is also near dead/closed, though a new area in Jomtien replaces it.
    In the west/EUR here its even worse. Nearly half of the gay sauna's have closed here in the last 4-5 yrs and several smaller towns now lack any ''gay ''place. In fact I have quite another theory about this all, but then all hell will break loose over me, and I hate all those discussions.

Liked

Changing world for a lot more than just gay bars. The internet has changed it all. The retail world for starters, just look at Amazon and the amount of stuff they sell - without ever having opened a single shop. No different for the bars, people now shopping online rather than come to the bars.

9. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (December 24th, 2016)

Liked

Scottish,

You'll only have a problem snogging a guy in a Wetherspoons if it's in Scotland..

In England you'll have no problem aside from catcalls from some Geordies and a bit of banter in Yorkshire. Wales is unpredictable, and the words gay and Ireland really don't mix well..

Liked

I meant food Scottish, not alcohol. Not my fault if you jocks are such a bunch of drunks the government banned 2 for 1 offers on liquor.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Old git View Post
    the words gay and Ireland really don't mix well..
    I beg to differ... have you ever even been to Ireland?
    There are more guys holding hands and cuddling in Dublin than you would ever see in any other European city!
    It is also the first country to approve same-sex marriage by popular vote (referendum)

I am back home in my local village for Christmas and I was in restaurant last night where it was casually discussed that my sisters neighbour as bringing home his BF for Christmas. As is my cousin. All discussed in a sort of "so what, its normal" kind of way...
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Liked

Please remember, a BF is not just for Christmas!
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.