FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are Gay Bars Going Extinct?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Are Gay Bars Going Extinct?

Liked

Re: Are Gay Bars Going Extinct?

It is possible that gay bars in the west are actually leaving the entertainment scene due to the reasons mentioned in the article. After all it would be unthinkable to have a bar for whites, blacks, Hispanics, etc etc so why should a bar that caters exclusively for gays and their fag hags be any different?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

This subject has been touched on in several previous treads in recent years on all the main boards - although to be fair those threads have related much more to gay go-go bars. Here in Bangkok, I think the beer bar-type open air bars will continue - although they will continue to be of much more interest to tourists and expats than Thais. The article is undoubtedly correct that the apps have already started a major change in the way guys meet up.

Its second point is also true. Many previously straight bars and clubs now happily have gay sections or gays and straights mix together. Go to the big clubs on Thonglor and thereabouts and you'll see large numbers of Thais of the LGBT community in what are technically straight venues. The same is true with locals in many of the major Asian cities - although I have yet to find a club in Pyongyang!
    It may be that the younger student-type Thai gays will continue to patronise the large, loud gay clubs out near Ladphrao and elsewhere. But soon after they graduate I expect they will go with the flow and start mixing more with straights.

Personally I do find it sad that the bar concept is dying. I certainly preferred meeting guys in bars with their ritual of flirting, buying a drink for someone you meet and getting to know them a little before ending up in bed!

4. User who gave Like to post:

destiny (December 24th, 2016)

Liked

Fountainhall wrote:
    "The article is undoubtedly correct that the apps have already started a major change in the way guys meet up."
    Meat up as well methinks. LOL.

And have you been to PyongYang? It's on my list.

Liked

The point most relevant to gay bars in Thailand is that the customers are advancing in age and there are few younger men interested in taking their place.]
    There are heaps of younger men taking their place. Thousands, in fact. The only difference is, they are all Chinese. They are keeping the soi Twilight bars afloat. Should they ever stop coming to Thailand, then yes, I also think the gogo bars are doomed. As it is, they appear to be surviving on drink sales alone, as offs seem few and far between.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    And have you been to PyongYang? It's on my list.
    Nope. As I said -

- although I have yet to find a club in Pyongyang!
    I'm looking forward to your report on all the look-alike Kim's you'll meet if you find one.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    As it is, they appear to be surviving on drink sales alone, as offs seem few and far between.
    A key reason for drinks prices having gone through the roof!

Liked

Super quibble alert:

Fountainhall wrote "I have yet to find..."
    This suggests you have actually looked and in order to do that you would have had to have been there.

10. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (December 23rd, 2016), christianpfc (December 24th, 2016)

Liked

Is there a similar decline evident in gay saunas? and massage venues?

Liked

The world doesn't stand still..

Social media has made it possible to meet others with similar interests without having to attend a dedicated meeting point. This applies to a whole host of activities, and not just those centred on sexual orientation.

At the same time there has now (at last..) been a general acceptance of homosexuality in most countries. This means that Gay hotels as a genre are largely redundant, unless they include facilities that are overtly sexual, such as saunas and dark rooms.

Gay bars that are solely a meeting place are therefore in inevitable decline, but those that provide go-go shows and/or a venue for picking up rent boys, still have a future..