Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are Gay Bars Going Extinct?

Liked

Re: Are Gay Bars Going Extinct?

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Is there a similar decline evident in gay saunas? and massage venues?
    Number of gay saunas is Bangkok has gone from about 32 in 2013 to 25 in 2016 (details see my blog), and I predict a further decrease as many places lack customers, even on weekend evenings/nights.

The number of massage places is stable or growing.

Liked

As I thought. I only visit Babylon and my impression is that numbers have gone down dramatically over the years. When it was in its old location, the number of visitors was much higher....of course, in those days there were fewer saunas. Colony and Obelisk are the only ones that come to mind, and they were closed by 2000, I believe.

Liked

Firstly to Arsenal, the Welsh are the heaviest daily drinkers in Britain rather than the Scots and the area of the U.K. with the lowest number of teetotallers is the SW of England - according to the Office of National Statistics. So shove that right up your sassenach bunghole

Next, to Old Git - I am extremely familiar with the North East (Newcastle in particular) and can confirm that they are very friendly people indeed. However may I suggest that whilst you might get away with snogging ur BF in some poncified and studenty area like Jesmond, I invite you to try it in Benwell or Walker.

There used to be a gay guesthouse in Wallsend (which I stayed in many times) and the owner was forever repairing the windows because of missiles being thrown at them - so unless there's been an explosion in tolerance in the North East (which going by the rise in support for far right politics I frankly doubt) then kindly allow me to retain my scepticism.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I only visit Babylon and my impression is that numbers have gone down dramatically over the years. When it was in its old location, the number of visitors was much higher....of course, in those days there were fewer saunas. Colony and Obelisk are the only ones that come to mind, and they were closed by 2000, I believe.
    I much preferred the old Babylon, but it was a much smaller venue and so became quickly packed at week-ends with queues at the entrance. There used to be quite a few saunas in addition to Obelisk and Colony. Volt off Asoke was one of the first I visited. There was one called Grey's Athletic Club which seemed more like a haunt for money boys. I never went to The Beach which was raided once or twice by the BIB. Heaven is still on the go, and I used to love the Moroccan-themed Chakran off Soi Aree in the years after it first opened and before it became much more Thai for Thai (or Thai for Asian). I believe it was the first to offer nude nights when the section behind the swimming pool with the jacuzzi and the steam room would be partitioned off for those happy to walk around au naturel.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by joe552 View Post
    Please remember, a BF is not just for Christmas!

Ackk I thought I was seeing things there !! Our prodigal son returns ! :-) Good to see you online with us Joe, happy Christmas !

And moving on to SG's view of Weathspoons certainly in the Belfast WS's I'm guessing he's fairly much spot on re the knuckle draggers being in attendance there and I wouldn't fancy my chances there if deciding to have a quick kiss with my BF.

Likewise I was in WS's in Ripon in Yorkshire just a few weeks ago with my BF and whilst most people were fine ( although we did get plenty of knowing oh you're one of THOSE couples looks) towards the end of the night there was one table off dickheads who started kicking off, not just with us mind but in general, and I just knew that if we came on their radar too much that we'd have been in the later firing line for sure. Thankfully some of their fishwives in toe with them kept them in check and they then came over and apologised to my BF as they realised he'd been made to feel uneasy as he didn't realise this was just a normal night in some Weatherspoons apparently , I of course didn't count for that same apology as I'm white and bigger than my Bf and so didn't need one it seems - mind you THAT happens a lot as well as the cute wee asian guy gets all the ohhh and awwws and all I get usually is the bill ! so nothing there I'm not already well used to !

6. User who gave Like to post:

Aux1010 (December 25th, 2016)

Liked

Scottish wrote:
    "Firstly to Arsenal, the Welsh are the heaviest daily drinkers in Britain rather than the Scots and the area of the U.K. with the lowest number of teetotallers is the SW of England - according to the Office of National Statistics. So shove that right up your sassenach bunghole."

I'm terribly sorry but you seem to be confusing me with someone who cares. Haha.

Liked

Well you obviously cared enough to make the post - so if you could try caring enough to actually get the facts within the posts right then it would show promise.

As it is, your end of year Report Card (sponsored by Scottish-Guy) is only A instead of A+

Liked

Scottish sobered up enough to write:
    "Well you obviously cared enough to make the post - so if you could try caring enough to actually get the facts within the posts right then it would show promise.."

I have absolutely no intention of allowing any facts to cloud my posts thank you very much so in that respect I am following in your illustrious shoes.. The only reason the Scottish drink less is because the nation sold most of their whiskey to the Chinese in return for a pair of cuddly but useless creatures on general display in Edinburgh that tourists like to take photos of. Alex Salmond and Nicola Sturgeon.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by joe552 View Post
    Please remember, a BF is not just for Christmas!
    Exactly...they are for Easter, Whitsun, Bank Holidays and weekend fucking too!

Liked

Honestly, good. I'm glad this "proud to be gay" shit is slowly ending.