FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Censorship

Banned
    Liked

Re: Censorship

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%A8se-majest%C3%A9

For frequent who is clearly struggling to understand everything apart from his own (long standing) personal agenda.
    Why do you assume I don't understand it? The topic of this thread is, after all, censorship

Liked

So if you understand it why do you persist. What are you hoping for? What is your endgame?

Banned
    Liked

So if you understand it why do you persist. What are you hoping for? What is your endgame?
    Why does the BBC persist?

Liked

I'm not asking about the BBC. I'm asking you directly. Why are you hoping to achieve? In short and bearing in mind your history under different handles what result are you aiming for?

Banned
    Liked

I'm not asking about the BBC. I'm asking you directly. Why are you hoping to achieve? In short and bearing in mind your history under different handles what result are you aiming for?
    What a bizarre question. Why would I be aiming for a "result"? Isn't sticking up for the truth sufficient?

Liked

Dress it up how you like frequent. Only an absolute moron would fail to see what you're doing. One wonders what an innocuous message board must have done to you to warrant such childish nonsense. Anyway just like your previous self your time here is so clearly limited that you'r probably thinking about your next reincarnation.

Liked

We avoid this topic out of respect for Thailand and Thailand's wishes with respect to that topic. Most everyone knows this very well and yet it continues to be brought up. Fortunately, what I'm reading in International publications on the topic comes no where close to what we've discussed here already on these two posts (one deleted) and the Protest thread. We are not based in Thailand and so I'm not concerned about us being shut down, but I am concerned about us being Blocked in Thailand again, because that was costly to navigate around. Costly for me. So I would kindly ask you all once again, have fun with any and every topic out there, but not this topic and nothing to do with anything underage.

Thank you

Surfcrest

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I write this bearing in mind Surfcrest's concerns in the previous post. And I bring it up only because the topic has already appeared in The Nation newspaper and continues to appear on its on-line site.

As a result of the law of the land, censorship of the news in Thailand is understandable. Yet what, I wonder, is the purpose of censoring fishball eating contests and weather forecasts? I am not the only one to ponder this important issue. A letter published two days ago in The Nation highlighted exactly the same point. Here is part -

The other day I was watching CNN when a news clip started. It was about a fishball-eating contest somewhere in Thailand.

I anticipated an amusing little sequence that would feature happy locals gulping down fishballs, probably accompanied by snappy morlam music and dancing upcountry maidens. I was looking forward to seeing it when BANG! Down came the heavy hand of the junta, cutting off the sequence with the now-all-too-common notice, “Programming will return shortly.”

It did, but by then all the fishballs had been eaten . . . Is the junta so paranoid about criticism that they have to block every news item that even mentions Thailand?
    http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news...ditor/30303754

The writer made a couple of much more scathing comments which I do not quote but which can be read in the above link.

Frankly I have no interest in fishball eating contests, but from time to time I do like to hear about the weather, the more so given it has been so erratic this year. Yet as soon as the CNN weather forecaster starts to talk about the flooding in the south, the signal is cut and that "Programming will return shortly” notice appears. Often it lasts for little more than 10 seconds. What makes this so seemingly stupid, it seems to me, is that the dreadful weather in the south has been so bad it is front page news for days in every news organisation not only in Thailand but also much of the world. I have no idea if this is a result of government instructions or self censorship by True Visions. Whoever, are they totally unable to distinguish between weather and political news when it is clear those with their fingers on the button are able to speak English well?

Liked

Bad weather (in all countries) usually ends up being blamed on the government because they are usually very slow to react and when they eventually do their ability to do much is usually very limited. Think Hurricane Katrina, Tsunami Trump (I made that up), A light dusting of snow in The UK which brings the entire country to a standstill. But fishballs? Beats me.

10. User who gave Like to post:

fountainhall (January 12th, 2017)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by fountainhall View Post
    are they totally unable to distinguish between weather and political news
    perhaps the editor of the Bangkok Post can help you as to where to draw the line between the political and the merely meteorological - they did after all publish this as an op-ed piece rather than news:

Floods that shouldn't kill - Bangkok Post 11 Jan, 2017
    http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/o...-shouldnt-kill

bkkguy