Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: A definition required, perhaps?

Liked

Re: A definition required, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger
    Like many of you, I have visited some of the most remote regions in Thailand and there is ALWAYS as place where the gays find to hang out with each other. I wouldn't classify these as "gay communites" at all - just a place where the gays get together. Thep took me to a dwelling once which was nothing more that a bamboo shack located in the jungle not far from his village where a dozen or so gay boys hang around together at night. I guess you could call this a little gay sub-community if you wanted to, but in all reality, it's just a place to hang out. The gays in Thailand all have these places everywhere from Songkla to Chiang Rai, and if you're ever fortunate enough to be invited inside you will experience the time of your life.
    and why do the gay village guys need to hang out in a bamboo shack located in the jungle? do the village straight guys have a similar bamboo shack somewhere in the jungle - or are they, as more acceptable citizens, allowed to hang out at venues in the village or nearest town?

the gays in New York had these little ghettos as well till the Stonewall riots!

bkkguy
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

Liked

Regarding the Thais acceptance of gays in general, this is a difficult attribute to measure - as they place a much higher focus on not being offensive or confrontational than us vikings from the West (love that term Kevin)...and always conceal their true emotions behind that infamous THAI SMILE...
    which is my point exactly - tolerance rather than acceptance, and even some of the locals are starting to think this is not enough!

As far as I'm concerned, as long as they don't openly express any discrimination towards me or my BF who are gay - then that works for me.
    well yes, compared to being "queer bashed" every time you go out tolerance is quite a good option, particularly if you don't speak Thai and get some of the comments as you pass by - though your Thai speaking boyfriend may have a slightly diferent impression!

If a person can not accept "gay", than that's OK, because face-it, guys going with guys is not the norm on the planet we rotate on, but as long as they keep their feelings neatly tucked away behind those wonderful smiles...all's well.
    am I the only one that considers this to be one of the most depressing (but I suppose realistic) quotes ever expressed on this forum?

bkkguy
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

bkkguy wrote:

and why do the gay village guys need to hang out in a bamboo shack located in the jungle? do the village straight guys have a similar bamboo shack somewhere in the jungle - or are they, as more acceptable citizens, allowed to hang out at venues in the village or nearest town?
    Honestly, I think the guys I referred to who hang around that bamboo shack do so because "it's fun". No different than their str8 friends who hang out with their farmer buddies at night sitting around a bottle of whiskey - or the businessman who socializes at the snooker club or gulf course with his friends.

People have always gravitated towards others with commoin interests and lifestyles, regardless if they're sports fans, meat-head truck drivers or Shakespearian play actors. What's the difference?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bkkguy
    Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt
    Being gay simply doesn't matter, and there's gay people pretty much everywhere, so it's all a moot point in Thailand.
    perhaps we live in "parallel universe" Thailands because after 20 years of living here there is no way I could agree with that statement...

but where in Thailand do you see a high level of acceptance of same sex couples living a life together as a couple? where are the positive role models of openly gay politicians, sports stars, musicians, business people, etc

most Thai gays that I have met through business contact, scene contacts, friend contacts, etc from a wide variety of social classes and education etc either recently or 10 or 15 years ago have been unable or unwilling to be "out" to their family, friends or business associates!
    I agree with Bkkguy on this and that's been my experience too.

Yes, gays tend to be more visible in Bangkok. Yes, in general, I find the gay thing gets less attention in Thailand than it does anywhere else I've been. Yes, it's wonderful having that experience where being gay is a moot point. But no, there's still plenty of homophobia and ignorance in Thailand and plenty of instances where being gay isn't a moot point.

I know Matt's spent more time in Thailand than I have but I suspect he's applying his experience in Isaan (which may be more laid back and accepting of being gay) and Pattaya to the whole country, which is inaccurate.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

In terms of Silom, you need to distinguish between the different scenes here. Not all of Silom is dominated by the commercial sex scene.

The way I see it, the three main parts of Silom are...

(1) Soi Twilight and other gogo bars - This is pretty much a 100% commercial sex scene. No reason for a Thai to come here unless they're a customer or prostitute or taking tourists to see the show.

(2) Soi 4 with Balcony and Telephone - Haven't spent much time here so can't comment.

(3) Soi 2 DJ Station and GOD - Yes, there's a significant moneyboy presence at these two discos but it doesn't dominate.

Lots of ordinary Thais and (and foreigners not after paid sex) go to DJ Station. I've met all kinds of Thais - some from out of town holidaying in Bangkok, students, older middle-class Thais - who were just having a night out with their friends. I ask guys I meet if they come to DJ Station often and they often say it's an occasional thing for them - once a month or once or twice a year.

Quote Originally Posted by gra46
    my Thai friend .I happen to meet him about a year ago, in a restaurant just outside of Silom where he worked .I was the one who introduced him to places like Soi Twilight...
    You introduced a Thai friend to Soi Twilight? How classy of you... :rolling:

Quote Originally Posted by kquill
    I am not a person who goes crashing in on a scene that I don't know behaving like a bloody Viking grabbing every guys penis on the dance floor.
    Good to know that, Quill. :rolling: