Recent Pattaya Visit Report

Any and all subjects about Gay Thailand and all the stuff that happens in Gay Thailand.
Recent Pattaya Visit Report
Thu 22 Sep, 2011 2:57 am

Though I have been to Thailand many times in the past this was the first time I spent my entire vacation in Pattaya. I wish I should have done this on previous visists.

I stayed at one of the popular hotels down Boystown. Amazing experience with the new management at the hotel, the service and facilities can be compared to 5 star service.

Though it was at the tail end of the high season, the bars were fairly packed not good as the BKK ones, but when it came to the selection of guys it was far better than Soi Twilight in BKK. It was surprising to note that Pattaya bars attract guys from all parts of Thailand. So the market has variety to offer from the popular Isan, Cheng Mai, Cheng Rai. Laos, Cambodia, Rayong, Nong Kai and you name it. The guys were much cleaner, cute, handsome, attractive, interactive, friendly, outgoing, spoke enough english to keep company. Also noticed a exodus of guys coming from BKK mostly during the weekends, mainly frequenting at Funny Boys. Also what I was able to observe is that most of the guys do not work as regular at the bars and the bars too have accepted this working arrangements given the current flow of gay tourist and the market conditions. While this suits the business needs from the customers point of view you may have to visit these bars over couple of days to find the right match you are looking for.

Me and my friends spent much of our time and money at the Funny Boys as it had the most selection and the variety. May be given their popularity and demand the guys tend to me more on the negative side, with attitute and indifferent to customers. As a result what I observed was that many customers came and walked out without taking the guys. Most of the nights the guys went back home without customers. The bar need to work more on customer service and friendly side of the business. I am sure if they can improve on that side of the business they will do well both for the guys and the bar.

David Bar though not known much, has the best selection of guys. The atmosphere is excellent and the service is good. There are are clean, tall, cute more on the fair side of the skin. There are few cuties that you should not miss.

Kawaii is very popular amonst the Asian customer base as their selection tend to be more on the fem side. Mamasan is friendly and entertaining. The staff are well educated to take good care of the customers and thats why they have mostly return customers and the guys are popular. The guys provide such a good service, most of them find farang boy friends from this bar and looked after by them. Not much in numbers but the guys are worth a peep-in

Shooting Star ...... the place to watch is Lucky 7. Has an excellent selection and specially the one they have from Laos and Cambodia. Angels of the gay world. Since they all run visa boarder crossing every month, timing is your luck to find that cutie. The general feedback is that not only they are cuties they are sex bombs too. I have a Laos guy from BKK and from him I know if Thai guys are sex horses laos guys are sex bulls.

Enoyed the shows at Wildwsest boys and Cuopa. Worth the money spent and the time. Dancers are Angels, but most of them conduct themselves in a very professional manner. They dont linger around after the shows and they are nowhere to be seen to make any headway. They worth a million dollar.

Versa Bar (May be I am not sure of the word) is hidden in a corner, but a place to watch out. Good few cuties hidding in this bar and they are sex bombs as well.

In general the gay industry is dying and unless someone would start a good pub-disco style veneue around the Boystown area, there is nothing much to keep the gay tourist engaged throughout the night of enjoyment. In terms of entertainment the bars have nothing to offer much. Once they pick up the guys they have nowhere to go except to Dave or NAB that too they have to wait till mid-night. I predicted 3 years ago that Soi Twilight in BKK will get wiped out of the market, it has happened now. Unless the Pattaya gay business community will change and find ways and means to keep the gay tourist engaged and entertained the entire night and cater to the Technology Generation, most of the business will not survive in the next 2-3 years. Let us change the way we would cater to the new generation of gays than sticking to the baby-boomers generation of retired and laidback concept. You need to compete with the stright tourist industry and see what they have to offer to those tourist. Walking street buinesses are booming and we are dooming. We dont want to change. A change is needed.
Random avatar
SlaveDriver

Advertisement

Re: Recent Pattaya Visit Report
Thu 22 Sep, 2011 11:00 pm

Interesting observations in the last paragraph and I think you're right on most of them...

I think the commercial sex bar businesses in Boyztown are vulnerable because that's almost all they offer - a show and the chance to grab a gogo boy - and the demand for this may be declining. I think it'd be better if they stayed where they are and other aspects of Pattaya's gay-oriented nightlife grew elsewhere.

The sleaze of the former can detract from and hold back the latter. Some tourists who come to Pattaya to party and aren't interested in paid sex can be very put off by the sleazy feel surrounding bars offering commercial sex.

SlaveDriver wrote:In general the gay industry is dying...

More correctly... "the commercial sex gay industry is dying".

SlaveDriver wrote:there is nothing much to keep the gay tourist engaged throughout the night of enjoyment.

More correctly... "the socially impotent gay paid sex tourist who knows how to do little more than grab a gogo boy off the state and take him back to his room for sex"

SlaveDriver wrote:I predicted 3 years ago that Soi Twilight in BKK will get wiped out of the market, it has happened now.

Really? Are you saying Soi Twilight is dead? Don't think that's true...
Beachlover
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Fri 23 Sep, 2011 1:07 am

have not heard of the "DAVID BAR", where is it located? Is it a gogo or beer bar?
Random avatar
luvthai-2

Fri 23 Sep, 2011 1:27 am

SlaveDriver wrote:Versa Bar (May be I am not sure of the word) is hidden in a corner, but a place to watch out. Good few cuties hidding in this bar and they are sex bombs as well.

You probably mean Vassa Bar, between Pattayaland Soi 1 and 2. Did you see any tattoos on the boys there? (When I went there, none of the 13 boys present had a tattoo, which was a pleasant surprise as I don't like tattoos.)

luvthai-2 wrote:have not heard of the "DAVID BAR", where is it located? Is it a gogo or beer bar?

It's on Pattayland Soi 1, next to Cupidol (if I remember correctly). It's a gogo bar.
christianpfc

Fri 23 Sep, 2011 1:34 am

SlaveDriver wrote:In general the gay industry is dying and unless someone would start a good pub-disco style veneue around the Boystown area, there is nothing much to keep the gay tourist engaged throughout the night of enjoyment. In terms of entertainment the bars have nothing to offer much. Once they pick up the guys they have nowhere to go except to Dave or NAB that too they have to wait till mid-night. I predicted 3 years ago that Soi Twilight in BKK will get wiped out of the market, it has happened now. Unless the Pattaya gay business community will change and find ways and means to keep the gay tourist engaged and entertained the entire night and cater to the Technology Generation, most of the business will not survive in the next 2-3 years. Let us change the way we would cater to the new generation of gays than sticking to the baby-boomers generation of retired and laidback concept. You need to compete with the stright tourist industry and see what they have to offer to those tourist. Walking street buinesses are booming and we are dooming. We dont want to change. A change is needed.

Your observation of Thailand as a gay destination for the future is spot on.

My only question is that your post is now, September is the end of the high season?
Random avatar
Man4AllSeasons

Fri 23 Sep, 2011 2:38 am

SlaveDriver wrote: In terms of entertainment the bars have nothing to offer much. Once they pick up the guys they have nowhere to go except to Dave or NAB that too they have to wait till mid-night.

Hi SlaveDriver
Thankd for the report!

For you next visit - Hollywood and TumNanChon tend to get good crowds earlier in the evening...

And both can be very gay at times (although Hollywood does tend to draw an arab crowd - that me not always be friendly)

Neither are the kind of places to bring a date though - so make sure you bring a gang with your new friend!
Buffalo me die! Send Money!
colmx

Fri 23 Sep, 2011 6:40 am

LMTU, mothersruin, by yet another handle. Supprised you lot didn't spot it.
Random avatar
sunnyplazawatcher

Fri 23 Sep, 2011 9:37 am

sunnyplazawatcher wrote:LMTU, mothersruin, by yet another handle. Supprised you lot didn't spot it.

Yes you would say that wouldn’t you, but the insult is not your trying make out its me, it’s you pretending I write a bundle of hotch potch like that, I have no idea when this person was visiting these establishments if he did at all, but I only deal in today not months ago, I was in fact visiting all the places mentioned only last week, and if you was to believe what you just read, you would be very disappointed.

David’s Bar full of lame lady femme voiced Boys, not one man boy to be seen, so if you like them your be so happy, Vassar bar the same, even though for some time now if you found 5 boys in there you would be lucky and the standard there well no customers always tells the answer, Funny Boys why would you spend most of your trip there, even though it is a nice Bar and I think the atmosphere is one of the best around and it does have a few nice boys from time to time, COPA over the road has a much better variety, even TOYBOYS is nice and well laid out and can have the odd diamond if you Pop in periodically, why not go to ABOMB they have something there for most taste it always got customers, or all the good work they are doing at HAPPYPLACE who are working so hard to cater for everyone, even XBOYS has some nice guys from time to time if you don’t look around show time.

Yes as for the fact stated the end is about to happen, well progress will slowly change how the gay areas are laid out and the law of the jungle will dictate what Bars stay around and what will close, but pattaya will always have a Gay Life and Clubs like most Big Cities it will just go more up market.

I don’t know what Gay Hotel you stayed at but considering AMBIENCE has only just change managements, it cant be that one and CAFÉ ROYAL always had the same and COPA HOTEL UPSTAIRS has been also the same for a few years, ???

You say one minute the Bars are better in Pattaya and the Boys are better in Pattaya, but then the Bars in Bangkok are packed and the boys not so good, well I don’t know when you last went to Bangkok, I live there and visit them often, the boys in Bangkok do change almost daily and if you can’t find a guy you like there you must be blind or looking for the impossible. Why would the Guys from Bangkok want to come to pattaya, if there is much more customers in Bangkok you seem to be disputing your own argument all the time. All the Bars of Thailand rely on all the boys from all the places you mention not just Pattaya.

As for the Wild West Show well if you like half a dozen lady boys prancing around the stage for 4o minutes yes visit and yes get out quick after, as your be very disappointed with what is on offer after. If you want to see a show that has everything go to COPA/BOYZBOYZBOZ or The VENUE where they have some of the best Costumes and show around.

We have had many try pub style BOYZ BOYZ BOYZ discos, but now it’s the young who dictate and they don’t want to be tarnished with being in a Gay area, they want to go to places like NAB, THE CLUB and THE NEW IDOL opening on the 1st of November where every one is what ever they want to be, as THE OLD HOLLYWOOD was, even though the NEW HOLLYWOOD is a NO NO Now the ARAB have taken it over and its full of Testosterone.

Customers only go to a Bar or Go Go if they see handsome Boys they like as your find in NICEBOYS, COPA/ABOMB/HAPPYPLACE/XBOYS for the Farm Boy types try the sleezy but hands on fun of GOODBOYS , if you, cant give the customers what they crave for, yes of course they will go else where but a lot of the reason is the down turn in the financial markets, many potential Gay Customers are now visiting nearer home, especially if they read on web sites like this you can only find ugly lady boys in the Bars here, the needs opf gay are much more different to the needs of str8s
Last edited by mothersruin on Fri 23 Sep, 2011 11:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Random avatar
mothersruin

Fri 23 Sep, 2011 10:26 am

Thanks everyone for the constructive contributions.

Wait for my next presentation on my "Business Plan". How to attract and cater to the "Y" generation of gay tourist while still maintaing the retired/retiring "Baby-Boombers" "Founding Fathers" business/entertainment approach.

Stay tuned. We all can come together to work something out to keep the market cycle going.

Cheers :notworthy:
Random avatar
SlaveDriver

Fri 23 Sep, 2011 10:58 am

sunnyplazawatcher wrote:LMTU, mothersruin, by yet another handle. Supprised you lot didn't spot it.

Nah... No reason to believe the OP is LMTU/Mothersruin. He writes coherently and without stupid exaggeration and hyperbole.

mothersruin wrote:

Yes you would say that wouldn’t you, but the insult is not your trying make out its me, it’s you pretending I write a bundle of hotch potch like that

Actually it was a compliment to assert the OP was you. What the OP wrote was fairly sensible and reflects what most other intelligent members have said.

mothersruin wrote:I only deal in today not months ago

No, you mostly deal in shovels of miss-leading, inaccurate, exaggerated, stupid hyper-bole filled slop. Your accounts are usually the complete opposite to what just about everyone else on this board reports. Everything from blurting out false claims (e.g. price this board was bought for and price for Corner Bar) to blatant factual errors such as claiming The Venue has an Olympic sized pool to absurd comparisons such as saying the 1-star dump, BBBInn is as good as the 5-star Dusit Thani. Not even your buddy, Undaunted agrees with your observations of Pattaya.

Having said that, I agree the commercial sex gay scene in Pattaya needs to be kept separate from the normal mainstream nightlife if the latter is to have any attraction. Keep it separate and build it up and it might develop a less sleazy image and attract more of a young non-sex tourist crowd.
Beachlover
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Fri 23 Sep, 2011 12:26 pm

Beachlover wrote:

Nah... No reason to believe the OP is LMTU/Mothersruin. He writes coherently and without stupid exaggeration and hyperbole.
Having said that, I agree the commercial sex gay scene in Pattaya needs to be kept separate from the normal mainstream nightlife if the latter is to have any attraction. Keep it separate and build it up and it might develop a less sleazy image and attract more of a young non-sex tourist crowd.

I’m trying not to concentrate of your Insults, with you thinking some guys are Impressed by you trying to make a name for your self that way, but as I and most guys say, because the content of your post have such low Intelligence and of not much interest to many, we both have some thing to contribute and would it not be nice to concentrate on the positive things you do, like punishing a baby and not take to much notice of the negative, to have the spot light on your self.
Also i'll over look the few silly childish remarks you make to put me down in your warped mind, thingking others will say wow he is so soupier, its an old trick but after while don’t work here.

It is going to be a straight Bar where gays feel happy as "Rome Club" was the Number one club in Bangkok, before your time unless your really ancient BL.

Where Thais bring farangs not farangs bring Thais, why on earth do farangs think they can get a Boy and want to take him to another gay establishment, the last place a Go Go boy wants to go is a Gay bar or club when if you did your home work or ask the boy where he wants to go for a night out of fun, certainly not a gay bar, for you to show him off. and most guys just say where did he get that tramp to his pals.
Random avatar
mothersruin

Fri 23 Sep, 2011 3:19 pm

Beachy,

Believe me on this one. After many years there, Pattaya would not be an attraction for many in both straight and gay markets without the sex tourists, as that is what it has catered for all these years.

Agreed, that with the Russians coming now and others that market force may change over a period of time, if it develops. The Russians though seem to be bringing more problems than they are solving, Eastern hookers, Mafia, protection money etc.

However, you have a local government that isn't truthfully interested or maybe not knowledgeable enough of how to change it. They only know what they don't want.

You do have some great developments, restaurants, shopping malls etc so the infrastructure is there. BUT, and it's a big one, you still have the appalling beaches, roads, horrendous flash flooding, high crime rate and rampant corruption to deal with if you are looking at as new developed Pattaya from 2012 onwards.

In my view, it's losing its appeal for the sex tourist, ( more to the point, they are trying to slowly eradicate it ) but there is not enough to pull the regular tourist or attract them there.

I know plenty of Thais who turn their nose up at the thought of Pattaya preferring Hua Hin as a destination amongst others, saying it is full of low class, sex crazed and drunken Foreigners.

I am not saying these things or passing judgements, the Thais themselves are.
Last edited by kquill on Fri 23 Sep, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Random avatar
kquill

Fri 23 Sep, 2011 5:11 pm

I'd like to make an observation concerning kquill's comment, particularly the comment about what he says the Thais' judgement is concerning Pattaya.

I am not sure the last time Kquill was in Pattaya but I believe there have been many changes. Thais have been investing great amounts in Pattaya. New apartments, condos, malls are booming. The old Xyzte has just been demolished and a larger new structure is being built.

The weekend traffic from Bangkok has increased so much, the roads are bumper to bumper.

South Pattaya area condos are being bought by many Thais as 2nd homes.

I never thought I would see this fast of a change in Pattaya.

There has a rumor going on for a few years that seems counter intuitive. Within the next few years casinos will come to Pattaya. I realize that the government just made a big deal about closing some big underground casinos, but possibly after the biggest event in recent Thai history happens, the government may not be as conservative in the area of gambling.
Random avatar
Pattaya Male

Fri 23 Sep, 2011 5:34 pm

"it's not personnal it's business".....This quote is exactly what is behind a glim future for gay Pattaya. The venues in the gay areas are so insignificant to the total "take" from all Pattaya's sex venues and the bad publicity from the gay bars is constant, at some point the powers that be say is it worth it?
Random avatar
Man4AllSeasons

Fri 23 Sep, 2011 6:08 pm

Hi Pattayamale,

I did mention those points you make:

You do have some great developments, restaurants, shopping malls etc so the infrastructure is there. BUT, and it's a big one, you still have the appalling beaches, roads, horrendous flash flooding, high crime rate and rampant corruption to deal with if you are looking at as new developed Pattaya from 2012 onwards.

I was last there middle of 2008. I accept major changes taking place but you can see from videos on here that the flash flooding problems, road closures, terrible walkways and bad beaches continue.

Both Pattaya People and Pattaya Mail as well as others give you updates weekly on what is happening crimewise plus Tam goes there as we have customers renting out properties of ours.

I think I tried to be balanced in the post and not really attack Pattaya, more point out what others say are its failings! I definitely believe that many more Thais,( tourist wise and families) prefer Hua Hin over Pattaya, and the perceived view of many based on probably what they see on TV.

The changes in the bar scene, I accept, I am taking views of others from here, visitors who I see after they have returned to the UK, and overall comments about how bad trade is from friends with businesses there. I was trying to point out the difficulties Pattaya faces in trying to re-brand its image.

Let's face it, a great deal of those who originally made a great deal of money from prostitution in Pattaya and have diversified into ' nice clean business ' such as apartments, rental shop houses, Hotels now try to distance themselves from where their income was derived in the first place....... :sunny:
Random avatar
kquill

Next

Return to Sawatdee Gay Thailand