Hiring a guide

Any and all subjects about Gay Thailand and all the stuff that happens in Gay Thailand.
Hiring a guide
Thu 6 Sep, 2007 5:38 am

I have been coming to Thailand for many years and tend to go where the wind blows me. Last year when I was in Chiang Mai, I hired Bird of Birds Travels (Click for link to Birds Info) and had a GREAT time! He took me to places I would have never seen but raved about whenever I am asked about my trip to Chiang Mai. He was a great guide and while he was with me the staff in the bars did not bother me requests to buy another drink. When we went to a disco, he was prepared with a bottle of whiskey and told me that we will only have to pay for mixers at 20B (I think that is right... I know the mixers were dirt cheap!).

Well now I am wondering if I could recreate the magic? I am thinking of hiring a guide for a night in Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket. When I go back to Chiang Mai I plan to re-hire Bird for 2 nights! (The money he saves me in Tips, Taxi and drinks..... He almost pays for himself! hahaha

Anyway... Have any of you guys hired a guide that you could recommend? I don't want to go to a gogo bar and pick some guy off the stage and ask him to be a guide...... :)
Being miserable online goes with you offline, following you like a shadow.
User avatar
bucknaway
Posting Freak
Posting Freak
 
Posts: 2283
Joined: Tue 9 Aug, 2005 9:22 pm
Location: USA

Advertisement

Thu 6 Sep, 2007 8:04 am

http://gayguideinthailand.com/

I've used him twice in Bangkok and then a a day tour to Kanchanaburi

Nice and knowledgable
Random avatar
jsvan44
 
Thu 6 Sep, 2007 8:10 am

you can also try Purple Dragon www.purpledrag.com My evening guide in BKK was awesome. The guy in Pattaya was OK, but he always repeated everything 3x even though I was nodding my head and understood what he was telling me. In general I loved their guides though. Very knowledgeable, punctual, and professional. You can hire their guides without buying their tour packages.
Random avatar
fedssocr
Full Member
Full Member
 
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu 29 Dec, 2005 10:46 am
Location: Arlington, VA
Thu 6 Sep, 2007 12:58 pm

jsvan44 wrote:http://gayguideinthailand.com/

I've used him twice in Bangkok and then a a day tour to Kanchanaburi

Nice and knowledgable


Thanks for this jsvan44. Have just sent off message to Pop to book for January.

Thanks,
K.
User avatar
krobbie
Full Member
Full Member
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Mon 3 Sep, 2007 6:46 am
Location: New Zealand
Thu 6 Sep, 2007 1:49 pm

Can I ask what these guys charge?
Random avatar
Steve1903
 
Thu 6 Sep, 2007 2:59 pm

Steve1903 wrote:Can I ask what these guys charge?


Steve, I knew someone would pick a whole in my plan.

To tell the truth I have no idea, but when Pop emails me back he will let me know I am sure. I will post it here.

Although I have only been to Thailand for a month before, I will know if it is too expensive or if it seems reasonable.

Cheers
Keith
User avatar
krobbie
Full Member
Full Member
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Mon 3 Sep, 2007 6:46 am
Location: New Zealand
Sat 8 Sep, 2007 8:03 am

A LOT! They charge a LOT! I went to Dragoncastle.net and they have a guide that is very reasonable and has his own transportation. I may give him a try. And I had a quick look at the utopia site and they seem to have a few guides also.

Steve1903 wrote:Can I ask what these guys charge?
Being miserable online goes with you offline, following you like a shadow.
User avatar
bucknaway
Posting Freak
Posting Freak
 
Posts: 2283
Joined: Tue 9 Aug, 2005 9:22 pm
Location: USA
Sat 8 Sep, 2007 8:54 am

bucknaway wrote:A LOT! They charge a LOT! I went to Dragoncastle.net and they have a guide that is very reasonable and has his own transportation. I may give him a try. And I had a quick look at the utopia site and they seem to have a few guides also.

Steve1903 wrote:Can I ask what these guys charge?


The guide I cantacted has replied again and informed me that a full day guided tour of BKK would be 2000 baht. Entry fees to temples and the palace etc will need to be paid (for both individual and guide) and of course lunch.

Seems pretty reasonable to me for a day of someone's time.

cheers
K.
User avatar
krobbie
Full Member
Full Member
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Mon 3 Sep, 2007 6:46 am
Location: New Zealand
Sat 8 Sep, 2007 10:06 am

krobbie wrote:
bucknaway wrote:A LOT! They charge a LOT! I went to Dragoncastle.net and they have a guide that is very reasonable and has his own transportation. I may give him a try. And I had a quick look at the utopia site and they seem to have a few guides also.

Steve1903 wrote:Can I ask what these guys charge?


The guide I cantacted has replied again and informed me that a full day guided tour of BKK would be 2000 baht. Entry fees to temples and the palace etc will need to be paid (for both individual and guide) and of course lunch.

Seems pretty reasonable to me for a day of someone's time.

cheers
K.


Dear Krobbie,

Much as I like bucknaway, he can get a little obsessed regards the "folding stuff" [ money!]
Random avatar
kquill
 
Sat 8 Sep, 2007 10:13 am

kquill wrote:
krobbie wrote:
bucknaway wrote:A LOT! They charge a LOT! I went to Dragoncastle.net and they have a guide that is very reasonable and has his own transportation. I may give him a try. And I had a quick look at the utopia site and they seem to have a few guides also.

Steve1903 wrote:Can I ask what these guys charge?


The guide I cantacted has replied again and informed me that a full day guided tour of BKK would be 2000 baht. Entry fees to temples and the palace etc will need to be paid (for both individual and guide) and of course lunch.

Seems pretty reasonable to me for a day of someone's time.

cheers
K.


Dear Krobbie,

Much as I like bucknaway, he can get a little obsessed regards the "folding stuff" [ money!]


kquill,
I guess that's why I don't have any. I share it around too much. But really, as I said 2000 baht for a day of someone's time is ... cheap ... in my opinion (I have learnt to qualify my insights here). :blackeye:

Cheers
Keith
User avatar
krobbie
Full Member
Full Member
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Mon 3 Sep, 2007 6:46 am
Location: New Zealand
Sat 8 Sep, 2007 12:22 pm

krobbie wrote:kquill,
I guess that's why I don't have any. I share it around too much. But really, as I said 2000 baht for a day of someone's time is ... cheap ... in my opinion (I have learnt to qualify my insights here). :blackeye:

Cheers
Keith



Dear Keith,


I am on your side on this point!
Random avatar
kquill
 
Sat 8 Sep, 2007 8:13 pm

2000b for a full day tour is not so bad.... but you can get the same tour and provided transportation for 1500b and you can tip the guide 500b and your his hero. :)

And yes... I am careful with my money... Ok! OK!! I am CHEAP! So what! LOL
Being miserable online goes with you offline, following you like a shadow.
User avatar
bucknaway
Posting Freak
Posting Freak
 
Posts: 2283
Joined: Tue 9 Aug, 2005 9:22 pm
Location: USA
Sat 8 Sep, 2007 9:29 pm

bucknaway wrote:2000b for a full day tour is not so bad.... but you can get the same tour and provided transportation for 1500b and you can tip the guide 500b and your his hero. :)

And yes... I am careful with my money... Ok! OK!! I am CHEAP! So what! LOL



I have no problem with you being cheap, the question is are you easy!


Have a good one,
Random avatar
kquill
 


Return to Sawatdee Gay Thailand

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post


Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests